Major of the Issue: Chemical Engineer

Public Domain
A tool used in the engineering world: Lathe

Engineering is comprised of many majors. One of the most recognized is a chemical engineering major. A chemical engineer’s goal is to overcome problems with knowledge of math and science, but mostly chemistry. They try to come up with efficiently economic and and safe solutions to improve many processes, techniques, and methods in their field. Chemical engineers work within many fields like manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, design and construction, pulp and paper, petrochemicals, food processing, specialty chemicals, polymers, biotechnology, and environmental health and safety industries.

To improve these fields, chemical engineers must be familiar with advanced algebra, chemistry, calculus, geometry, trigonometry, physics. It takes about 4 years to complete a chemical engineering major then comes graduate school. During a chemical engineer’s time at a university they will become very familiar to lab and field studies, including research; research is the main way engineers find better solutions for their field. The top 5  industries employing chemical engineers are Petroleum and coal products manufacturing, basic chemical manufacturing, scientific research and development services, Resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial fiber and filaments manufacturing, and architectural and related services.

The top companies within this field are Dupont, Exxonmobil, SC Johnson, Texas Instruments, Pfizer, L’oreal, and Kraft. Great schools that future engineers can attend are Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of California, Berkeley, Stanford University, California Institute of Technology, University of Texas at Austin, Princeton University, University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Northwestern University that fall in the top 25 chemical engineering schools.