Remarkable fencing season comes to an end

The+Bernards+High+School+fencing+team+celebrates+their+district+accomplishments+
Tiffany Zhang
The Bernards High School fencing team celebrates their district accomplishments

The Bernards Fencing Team closes off a remarkable 2024 season. From the start of the season with both the boys and girls winning counties, to high placings in States, this season has been named a success. This was the first time for Bernards Fencing that both the boys and the girls placed first in counties together (in the same year). In Santelli’s, the girls placed 3rd and in Cetrulo’s, the boys placed 5th. The Bernards fencing team also placed 1st for girls and 2nd for boys during districts. 

“This is the second year in a row that the girls won districts,” said Mr. Cherng, the head Fencing coach at Bernards, “this is also the second year in a row that the girls advanced to the final four.”

The boys placed in the top 16 (tying for 15) for states and the girls made it to the Final Four, semi-finals, tying for 3rd overall in states. Despite the tough health season for the fencing team, the fencers were able to accomplish great things.

“The fencing season for both the boys and girls went well above expectations and both teams should be proud of the historic feats they have accomplished,” Mr. Cherng said.

Both the boys and girls have closed off a terrific season and Coach Cherng predicts similar results for next year’s season, if work is put in by the fencers in the offseason, despite the loss of the seniors.

“We really pushed ourselves and did so much better than last year,” said Fiona Vitali ‘25, girls team captain. Next season, Fiona has high hopes for the team and what they will accomplish next year. 

“I think that we are going to make it to finals next year, and not only make it, but crush it,” she said. 

Stella MacDonald-Salerno (fencing Sabre), Emma Grau (fencing Sabre), and Arden Addeo (fencing Epee) advanced to Individuals on the girls’ side. Oliver Po (fencing Foil), Spencer Depew (Fencing Sabre), Henry Depew (fencing Epee), Julian Lenci (fencing Sabre), and Matthew Rodrigues (fencing Sabre) advanced to Individuals on the boys’ side.

Arden Addeo ‘25 anticipates that more fencers will make it to individuals next year and said, “individuals was a really great experience…next season we are really going to dominate.”

With the 2024 fencing season coming to a notable end and morale remains high for next year’s season, the only thing left to speculate is how well next year will turn out and whether similar or exceeding results can be produced.