Kung Fu Panda 4 graces movie screens

A+student+watching+Kung+Fu+Panda+4+on+their+computer+
Juliette Maro
A student watching Kung Fu Panda 4 on their computer

After 8 years since Kung Fu Panda 3, Kung Fu Panda 4 has finally arrived. Due to the long wait, fans were worried that the sequel might not return. Kaia Alexander ‘26 says, “I’ve watched all the Kung Fu movies and I thought another wasn’t coming out since it took years to announce a fourth. I can’t wait to watch this movie and was worried another movie wasn’t coming out.”

Returning to the voice cast, there is the talented Jack Black, who plays Po, delivering the charm and humor. The movie also features Angelina Jolie, Seth Rogen, Lucie Liu, Jackie Chen, and David Cross. Aletha Reynolds ‘26 says, “Kung Fu Panda is an amazing movie, but the actors make it 10 times more amazing! They bring their unique skills and personalities to make it more watchable. I definitely recommend watching this movie.”

The fourth movie continues to follow Po on his journey as Dragon Warrior, mastering the art of Kung Fu, and protecting the Valley of Peace alongside his allies. However, Po is up to the ultimate test when a new threat emerges that tests him and his friends in a way never seen before. The film takes on a thrilling ride filled with laughs, jaw-dropping scenes, and heart-melting messages.

The movie also introduces some new characters. A fox, voiced by Awkwafina, lends a hand in helping Po fight his enemies. There is also a new villain chameleon named Cameleonul, voiced by Viola Davis, who seems to be unpopular amongst viewers. She is not a fan favorite because many believe that all the character does is bring in trouble. Ashley Mundine ‘26 states, “After watching the new Kung Fu movie, I am not a fan of the new character, Cameleonul. But I think she makes the movie more interesting to watch because, throughout the movie, you will be on the tip of your seat.” 

Kung Fu Panda 4’s release on March 8th, 2024, marked the biggest release of the franchise since the original in 2008, which earned over $60 million. The box office has earned $22 million from a total of 41 different movie markets, earning about $80 million globally from the martial arts-inspired film.

In an interview with ComicBook.com, the directors explain to fans why Kung Fu 4 took years to come out. The directors stated that they wanted to make sure they had the perfect story before announcing its release date. Director Mike Mitchell states in the interview, “When I was producing the third film, we’re like, ‘Wow, we’re really wrapping up. That’s probably why it took so long to get to the big screen. We didn’t start on this until we were sure we had the right story. It’s all about finding that perfect story.” 

If you are looking for a fun-filled movie, then stop by your local movie theater to watch Kung Fu Panda 4.