Spring sports prepares for upcoming season

Ari Rosen
Boys Lacrosse team huddles up before big game.
  • Baseball

After a solid 15-10 season last year including a division championship, the Bernards Baseball team looks to continue that success moving into this season. Returning star player Evan Hoeckle will look to emulate his incredible season from last year as he boasted a 0.85 ERA with 46 strikeouts in 41 innings. Coach Falzarano main goals of the season are to “battle for a repeat of the division title” and “hopefully compete for multiple championships.” With several players from last year returning for their last season, Coach Falzarano believes that “Usually the growth of the person from junior to senior year naturally occurs” and thatWe have a good crop of seniors who appear to really want to improve.” There is a load of talent throughout the baseball roster, and it should be a fun season to watch.

• Tennis

Following a decent 9-8 record this past year, first-year Varsity Coach Boudreau looks to improve the team further. The tennis team hasn’t had a losing season since the 2015-2016 school year, and they look to continue this with first year head coach Derek Boudreau. When asked about the culture he would like to implement at the program in his first year, Coach Boudreau said “Our approach to practices and matches will be centered around focus, fun, and building confidence.” Coach Boudreau also looks to “Win a divisional and state sectional title, and that will never change.” Bernards has many Varsity players returning and even though they are entering a more challenging division, this should be a fun and exciting season to watch.

•  Softball

One season removed from a sensational 19-7 and winning counties before losing in the state semifinals, the softball team has lots of talent returning to the team this year including seniors Gina Mahlik, Siljie Emery, and Maddie Rivetti. Gina Mahlik is coming off of an incredible season where she batted .472 with 2 home runs and 30 runs batted in (RBI). She says that coming into her senior season, “The bond we have is really special and we all have the same goal of winning in mind and making it a season to remember.” After falling just short in states last year, Gina Mahlik and her teammates hope to “win our section again this year and make it to the group championship” and they also feel that “there’s a target on our back but we are ready to capitalize on our opportunities and come out on top.” In order to achieve these goals, Bernards Softball should be in for an exciting season and an even better one to watch.

• Golf

Following a historic 15-2 season for the Golf team, which featured an undefeated Conference record and a Skyland Valley division win, Coach Spautz and the rest of the team will look to repeat with eyes on a bigger prize. Luckily for Spautz, the team has eight returning players with varsity experience last season. Among those eight are seniors Hayden and Cutter Kreikemeier, Fin Spitaleri, Simon Bramwit, and Charlie Giebel. Both losses last season were to Ranney, who finished 9th in the NJSIAA State Championship. Coach Spautz hopes to “get a top 5 finish in both the county and conference tournaments” and to “improve our individual and team scores throughout the season.” Although it will be tough for the team to replicate it’s great season last year, Spautz and the team are prepared for another great season.

• Boys Lacrosse

Meanwhile on the turf, the Boys Lacrosse team will look to overcome the disappointing sectional finals loss to Rumson from last season, with a great season this year. Headlined by returning points leader David Brothers, as well as seven other college-committed players, they should have no trouble in recreating last season’s 16-5 record. Head Coach Brothers’ would consider the season a success if they “win Group 1 and Counties.” Outside of the 8 committed seniors, Coach Brothers has high hopes and expectations for the “good supporting 11th and 10th grade players” as he will look to mold them into the future of the team. The boys will begin their redemption season with a game against Somerville on April 3rd.

• Girls Lacrosse

On the other side of the turf, the girls team is getting ready to improve upon a solid 13-5 record last season. Second year Head Coach, Coach Ryan will try to bring the Girls lacrosse team to their second consecutive year with a winning record. Returning for the team are both of last year’s scoring leaders, Juniors Kayla Davi and Kendall Schmerler. The Girls team also fell in the NJSIAA tournament to Rumson, and will look to rebound this season starting with a home game against New Providence on April, 1st. Luckily for Coach Ryan, the girls team will only be losing three graduated seniors, and will look to compete with a very similar team to last seasons. 

• Track

Following a remarkable season last year, finishing 5th in sectionals, the Track team is primed and ready for a big season. Luckily for Coach Carmon and Szostak, the cross-country and winter track teams have been lighting up their respective seasons, putting the spring track team in great position for an exciting season. The team will have to do it without former captain and leader of the team Pat Griffin. Despite the loss, Coach Carmon is confident that “many people will step up” including “ Ben Connell, Cody King, Aiden Klaiss, Carson Crain, Gabe Morales and Brody Watt.” Whether the track team recreates their success from last season or not, it is bound to be an exciting season.