January Everyday Hero: Betsy Lezme

Betsy Lezme
    January’s Everyday Hero, junior Betsy Lezme, poses for a selfie

“A mature and responsible individual…tireless in her effort to improve herself,” junior Betsy Lezme’s kind and driven character has earned her the Everyday Hero award for the month of January.

Betsy has an impressive resume, involved in numerous extracurriculars both in and outside of school. Having been active in the band program for roughly seven years, she has played in every band at the High School—marching band, jazz band, concert band, honors band, pit orchestra, and symphony orchestra. She specializes in the trumpet, which she has played for three years, but also pitches in with the flute and piccolo for the band when necessary.

As Brass Captain in the marching band, Betsy helps her section with their music, as well as practice their positions on the field. She works side-by-side with the other band captains and the Drum Major— “all of the members in the marching band work together to pull off a great season,” she expresses.

She further takes on the responsibility of Assistant Quartermaster in many of the bands, where she helps the quartermaster with their duties, maintain the instrument inventory, report damaged or lost instruments, and assist the band director when needed.

“[Betsy] is honest, aggressively supportive, always having faith in [her] abilities, and [she is] not afraid of telling people that they are going in the wrong direction,” praises band teacher Mr. Teasler, “[She is] also a determined, hard working musician.”

Despite her withstanding commitment to the band program, Betsy nevertheless remains a strong athlete on her fencing and volleyball teams.

While she has not yet played volleyball for the High School, Betsy embraces a spot on a team during the summer as libero, where she consistently “[encourages her] teammates and [helps] them…to improve on their skills and the whole team as a whole.”

She fences both epee and foil for the Bernards team, taking on two weapons rather than one to better benefit the team.

“Betsy is always there to help,” says her friend Christina Rekatas ‘26, [She] is a good role model for many students and a good friend to everyone.”

Described as a natural leader, teacher, and advocate, the Everyday Hero Committee Award applauds Betsy’s “way of seeing the best potential in others and lending a hand to help others step up to the occasion…Her care for others extends not only to her peers, but to the faculty and staff of our school as well.”