In Depth: Illicit substance control update

In-Depth+layout+for+BHS+Crimson+print+paper+done+by+Madison+Ferruggia.+
In-Depth layout for BHS Crimson print paper done by Madison Ferruggia.

Over a year ago, The Crimson took a deep dive into the newly installed vape detectors in BHS bathrooms. A year later, protocol changes and statistics on these issues have changed, showing the importance of these new devices. This discussion comes at a critical juncture, given the rise in vaping and other substance-related issues among high school students nationwide. This trend sheds light on the issue of substance use within the school’s educational institutions, which is why BHS is tackling this problem with such force. 

BHS has mandatory breathalyzer tests for students before football games, unlike many other schools surveyed in the surrounding areas. This protocol, seen as an essential safety measure, acts as a deterrent against alcohol consumption and substance use during these gatherings. Furthermore, BHS has a randomized drug testing system in place for students who take part in extracurriculars. BHS’s initiatives reflect a broader trend in educational institutions across the United States, shown also in a survey by the CDC which reports that 38% of school districts have adopted policies that include random drug testing. Schools are trying to limit students’ use of illicit substances, including vaping and the use of e-cigarettes. These efforts indicate the shared commitment of schools to confront substance use and maintain secure, conducive learning environments.

In response to this issue, BHS has proactive measures to ensure the safety and well-being of all students. A study done by the CDC highlights the urgency of addressing substance use among teenagers, revealing that 14% of high school students and 3% of middle school students have reported vaping within the last month. These figures stress the nature of vaping and other substance-related challenges, reinforcing schools’ role in eradicating these issues. BHS introduced vape detectors last year as part of its strategy to limit this problem. “It’s important to note that these detectors are not designed to catch students in the act,” says BHS principal, Dr. Neigel, “but rather to deter prohibited behavior.”

In a survey provided by the Crimson, students at BHS have reported that more than half of students have not seen or heard of people vaping in the bathrooms since last year’s student survey, when almost 30% of students said they avoided going to the bathroom in fear of the students using illicit substances.

The vape detectors have proven to be effective in solving the substance and vape issues within BHS. Though it is not possible to catch and report every single student that commits these acts, feedback from both students and administrators exemplifies that the vape detectors have helped to make the school a more of a drug-free environment. “I believe that our use of breathalyzers and vape detectors has helped us deter the use of alcohol and nicotine at school and school sponsored events,” says Dr. Neigel. “We are also able to hold students accountable for poor choices involving drugs and alcohol by using these devices.” Last year, John Tober’24 stated, “I think the vape detectors are very effective in reducing the amount of students that vape in the bathrooms. Last year I would avoid going to the bathrooms because there were always many kids vaping. Now with the vape detectors, the problem seems to be resolved.” 

School administrators stress that the main objective of the school implementing these devices is to assist troubled students rather than just enforcing strict punishments. Last year, Dr. Corbett stated, “The goal is to deter students from using it in school, and if they were caught they would get help. The goal is not to catch and punish them.” The primary aim is to guide those dealing with addiction or misuse issues. Through understanding and effective interventions, it is thought that BHS can have a more secure and positive environment for students.