Natural highs improve student mental health

Jane Holmes
March issue Layout of in depth section of the crimson

Natural highs are experiences that bring a sense of euphoria and pleasure, without the use of drugs or other artificial means.These natural high experiences can have a profound impact on our mental health and well-being, and can even create lasting changes in our brains. One of the most significant psychological impacts of natural highs is the release of endorphins, which are natural painkillers produced by the body. Endorphins are often referred to as the “feel-good” chemicals because they activate pleasure centers in the brain, leading to feelings of happiness and relaxation.

It has been scientifically proven that exercise is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the release of endorphins in your body. Senior, Greg Ferreria goes to the gym daily. He says, “I go to the gym because I am trying to get stronger for college soccer. The rest of the day after the gym I feel fulfilled and in such a better mood.” Another senior, Scarlett Campbell, who also goes to the gym frequently says, “ I feel really energetic and I am in a good mood for the rest of the day after going to the gym.”  95.7% of students surveyed have shown that exercising daily improves their mental health. These students feel a sense of accomplishment on the days they go to the gym. 

In addition to endorphins, natural highs can also increase the release of other neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine. Serotonin is often referred to as the “happy hormone” because it regulates mood, appetite, and sleep. Dopamine  is associated with pleasure and reward, and is often released when we experience something pleasurable or satisfying. Activities that promote the release of these neurotransmitters, such as spending time in nature, can have a profound impact on our overall sense of well-being and happiness. Junior, Ryan Tondo, spends lots of time outside in all seasons. He enjoys riding bikes and snowboarding. He says, “ Being outside makes me feel great. It brings up my mood.”

Showing gratitude can improve not only others’ mental health but also your own. After showing gratitude 91.4% of students surveyed said that they feel better about themselves.  Senior, Briana DaCruz, said that she bought her friend a sandwich and expressed, “It made me feel happy that I could help my friend out when she didn’t have her wallet on her.” 

Music helps many people get through their days. When surveyed students at Bernards showed that 91.4% listen to music daily to improve their mental health. Along with this 91.3% of these students believe that it improves their mood. Ari Rosen, Sophomore states, “Music makes me feel great. I listen to it before my sports game to hype myself up.” 

Stand-up comedian Matt Bellance has a PhD in clinical psychology and has been performing since 1995. He wrote a book titled, A better High, this book was written to show readers positive things people can do rather than drugs, both for themselves and others.

When Matt Bellance visited Bernards High school for an assembly on March 1, his goal was to teach the students the importance of doing activities you love such as: meditating, listening to music, ect. to improve your overall happiness and mental health. He stated, “Scientists have studied people who hate happy music. Turns out your brain cannot resist them.” However other people view music as medicine. Fortunately 81.8% of students found it beneficial to learn about new ways that they can experience a natural high. Sophomore, Ella Ecko really enjoyed the assembly and learned a lot about experiencing natural highs. She shared, “I loved learning about the importance of mental health and healthy ways to experience life to the fullest, even in the small moments like music.”

Engaging in activities that we enjoy and that bring us pleasure can help us to feel more fulfilled and satisfied with our lives. This can lead to a sense of purpose and direction, promote the release of feel-good neurotransmitters, reduce stress and anxiety, promote a sense of purpose and meaning in life which is essential for our overall well-being and mental health.

View Comments (1)