2016 Wall of Honor

On April 24th, Bernards High School inducted the third class to the “Wall of Honor” during the ceremony at the Performing Arts Center. This is the third year the Bernards has had this free public event honoring BHS graduates who have made a large impact to the outside community after graduating. In 2013, a committee was created in order to start and organize this annual event. This committee consists as many members which include District Administrators, Teachers, Student Council Advisor and Officers, Board of Education members, and renowned members of the community. The selection process is very rigorous and in order to be considered, the nominee must have graduated at least ten years ago and made momentous contributions to their field. Also, citizens who have contributed to the BHS community will also be eligible to be inducted. Nominees that are not selected will be considered for induction for a period of three years.

BHS students also played a big role in this event. There was a piano player, two National Anthem singers, and a Pledge of Allegiance speaker. Also, members of student council and students introduced the new members. Sponsors and donors also contributed to make this event special. These sponsors include Cafe Azzurro in Peapack, Peapack-Gladstone Bank, and Bernardsville Print Center. The donors were Greg Barna and the BHS student council of 2016.

The third class of the “Wall of Honor” consists of eleven members. These members include past Bernards High staff, community leaders, a war hero, the first valedictorian, an ESPN Executive, a professional baseball player, a NCAA cross country coach, and a distinguished military leader.

Dr.Torry Froisland was the school’s principal for twenty-two years starting in 1969 until 1991. Everyone inside and outside of the school building always adored him. He accomplished many things which include overseeing two building renovations and helped expand athletic opportunities for the female athletes. Nathan Macadam was a teacher for thirty-four years from 1941 until 1975. Macadam’s taught chemistry, physics, and math. He also had the National Honor Society named after him. Another teacher at Bernards was Suzanne Cutler who taught for twenty-five years.Cutler was very involved in the school community by being the school’s yearbook, newspaper, and student council advisor. She also was certified as an AP teacher. Next was Anthony DeVergillo who graduated in 2011. DeVergillo is a community leader and optimist who faces the difficulties of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. He also has a popular blog called, “The Optimist’s Guide to Life.” Clarissa Krumbiegel is the beloved substitute teacher who has been working for the district since 1968. She has been subbing for forty-eight years and has been a valuable member to the community ever since.

The first valedictorian was M.Louise Henry. She also returned to become a teacher for thirty-five years. Lt.Col.W.Scott Galloway is a decorated war hero who graduated in 1972. Galloway has had four combat deployments and six overseas postings.  Major General Robert Knauff was a distinguished military leader who graduated in the class of 1971. After he graduated he went to the U.S. Air Force Academ. Mark Wetmore graduated in the class of 1971 and became a NCAA cross country coach. He also coached at Bernards. John Sullivan was also inducted into the class. Sullivan was a professional baseball player and coach. He graduated in 1958 and signed with the Detroit Tigers in 1959. The last member inducted into the class was Carol Stiff who graduated in 1979. Stiff started off working in 1990 as a strategic program planner for Disney and ESPN and eventually worked her way up to becoming the executive of ESPN. All of the members that were inducted into the wall have contributed to the community and outside community in significant ways.