Plainfield firefighter

A firefighter serving Plainfield, New Jersey, has died on January 26, 2024, following injuries sustained in the line of duty. 32-year-old Marques Hudson, city officials said, succumbed to injuries suffered while putting out a blaze on Emerson Avenue, Plainfield. Responding to an early morning call detailing a structural fire, firefighters reached the scene at around 8:00 AM according to PIX11 News. Firefighters entered the dwelling, helping 10 people escape before a mayday call was issued. Four firefighters were reported rushing into the building before rescuing an already unresponsive Hudson. With first responders frantically trying to revive him, he was soon rushed to Robert Wood Johnson University Medical Center where doctors tried for over an hour to resuscitate him but were unsuccessful. In a statement issued following the tragedy, Mayor Adrian O. Mapp said “He either fell through the floor or down the stairs”, and that in his 10 years as mayor, this was the “worst day of my life”. It is still unclear as to what was the cause of Hudson’s death but city officials stated that an investigation is underway. Three other firefighters were also injured during the event and were also promptly rushed to the hospital. All three quickly recovered and none of them sustained any lasting injuries This event marks the first time that a Plainfield firefighter has lost their life in the line of duty.
“The tragic loss of this courageous young man is a reminder of the great risks our firefighters face every day in the line of duty. We owe a debt of gratitude to all of the brave firefighters, like Firefighter Marques Hudson, who serve our state,” said Governor Phil Murphy in a statement issued that Friday.
Losses like this are far-reaching as many knew and mourn for the loss of Hudson. The Peapack and Gladstone Fire Department (Station 51), covered the Plainfield Fire Department the following Saturday from 8:00 PM to Sunday at 8:00 AM, allowing the entire department to attend Hudon’s memorial service. Peter Malleo 25’ who serves on the Peapack and Gladstone Fire Department said “It’s quite shocking to have a first responder death so near to us. You always hear about them, but all of a sudden it’s much more real”. Hudson is remembered for his heroism by fellow firefighters across the state and survived by his family including his three children.