Battle of the Bands is a Success

Lucy Grey performing at Battle of the Bands.
Ava Cummings

This past Friday, Bernards High School had their annual Battle of the Bands event. This event was hosted by the Kiva Club and the Green Team. According to Ms. Camuto, the calculus teacher here at BHS, this event raised about $1,860. All the money went to the less developed areas around the country and to buy hydration filters for people who need them. Seniors, Rachael Goldman and Emma Pennulo were the hosts of this years’ event because they have one “Battle of the Bands” every year, and they wanted to have other bands win it too. Jacqueline Hecker, a freshmen here at Bernards said, “Tonight was really fun. Rachael told some really funny jokes, and the bands were great!”

This year there were many bands that performed, including Quarter Smith, Third Wheel, Adolescence, Grey Walle, and Hunter Gatherer. Two seniors, Sophia Das, on violin, and Becky Harley, on acoustic guitar played two songs as a duet. For a full list of all the bands and their band members, visit our profile page in the Features section.

Jett Singh performing at battle of the bands.
Ava Cummings

The winners this year of the Battle of the Bands were: Third Wheel in first place, Adolescence in second place, Grey Walle in third. Sophia Das, Emma Christus, and Max Berg were the trio known as Third Wheel. They sang two songs, one being “Say Something I’m Giving Up on You” by A Great Big World, in which many people in the audience sang along to. Sophomore, Ava Cummings stated, “I really liked the Third Wheel because I think they came with a really good comeback from last year. They had gotten second last year and with the addition of Emma Christus, it really made all their vocals sound a lot better as a group.”

In the final decision, all the judges thought long and hard about who the winners were going to be. Ms. DeBarra, the anatomy and physiology teacher at BHS said, “I thought that Third Wheel had the best overall sound quality. The vocals were excellent and the choice of songs was something everyone in the audience seemed to enjoy.” The audience had a great time at this fundraiser, with great music, lots of energy, and the money going to a good cause.