MLK Day should be dedicated to community service

Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: ‘What are you doing for others?’”

Martin Luther King Day is a holiday that we honor the memory of a selfless leader. He fought for African American rights in the 1960’s and is most remembered for his speech “I  Have a Dream” which was broadcasted around the nation as he spoke from the Lincoln Memorial steps. In the 1980s, President Reagan made MLK day a federal holiday.

In past years, students of Bernards High School have used this holiday to get community service hours but now we only have a day off of school. This day should be a day of service again. Mr. Neigel said “There are many ways that schools can benefit from this day. Currently, students have the day off to celebrate the life of a wonderful American. I hope that each student will take a moment in the day to reflect on his legacy.” Now, students and teachers have no school; however, community service projects should be reinstated on MLK day instead of having the day off.

When asked what her option is on whether we should give up the day and use the school day for service, Ms. LaBruno, case manager, said, “Yes I do feel like MLK day could be used for community service, but it would require a lot of planning.”

MLK day would be a great opportunity for Bernards High School students to gain more service hours and help the community.

In the past, students contributed to this day of community service. Mrs. Coppola, who is the art teacher at the high school, supervised the students who wanted to do service. One year, she and student volunteers painted  quotes and murals on the walls around BHS. Similarly, students went to Bedwell, the elementary school, and read to the younger students. The students also went to Bedwell to paint murals for the younger students.

MLK day would be a great opportunity for Bernards High School students to gain more service hours and help the community. Many clubs and groups in the school offer ways to gain community service hours. For example, Green Team has courtyard cleanups and composting where students can gain hours while improving the school. Another way to gain community service and give back to the school is help out with the sports teams such as attend the clock and do stats. MLK should be a day where students give back to the community again. This day would be another opportunity that the entire school can get involved instead of only through certain clubs and teams.

The return of Martin Luther King Jr. day could be a good day for the students of BHS. One suggestion might be that they can do work of their own choosing. Service is important and should be recognized as a doing by this man MLK JR., one of history’s most important people.