Baseball starts 2016 season with four wins in six games

Senior Mike Hoppe throws a strike
Normandy Studio
Senior Mike Hoppe throws a strike

After traveling to Disney this year for their Spring Training, the Boys baseball team has had an optimistic start to their 2016 season.

Winning 4 of their last six games, the team is looking to improve their record, and strive for a sectional championship win.

Devin Rivera, a senior, commented about the season so far. “We have a lot of talent, however we lack experience, but overall we have really come together as a team.” The team started their season losing to Delaware valley, with the score being 4-0, with Timmy Lallis getting two hits for the team.

Their second game this season was against Voorhees. Robbie Holmes pitched a six hitter, only allowing one earned run, one walk, and eight strikeouts. Timmy Lallis and Jake Cawley both had two singles, while Mike White and Kendall Pierson both had two hits.

Commenting about the team’s performance against Voorhees, Jake Cawley responded, “at Voorhees the bats woke up and we were able to get some hits in big situations.” The final score was 9-1.

The third game of the season proved to be a tough one for the team. Bernards lost 2-0 to Gill St. Bernard’s. Daniel Ball went 2 for 3 at the plate, and pitched extremely well for seven innings. The game was a tense pitchers’ duel that was scoreless until Gill St. Bernard’s finally broke through in the top of the 7th inning.

Bernards had a chance to score when Rivera was on second base in the 6th inning, but he was thrown out at the plate after rounding third after a base hit from Bernards.

On April 16th, the team played a doubleheader, the first game against Oratory, and the second against Rahway. The games raised awareness and money for Autism Awareness month. Additionally, the games raised money for childhood cancer. Bernards wore special gold jerseys for both games to help raise awareness for both charities

Sophomore Phil Mahlik pitched well in both games, pitching 3 innings and only allowing one hit, one run, and one strikeout in the Rahway game. Bernards defeated Oratory 8-3 in the first of two games on the day, and beat Rahway 20-6.

The Oratory game had a tense start, with Bernards and Oratory tied 3-3 in the top of the 6th inning. The game was competitive up until the bottom of the sixth inning, where Bernards pulled through, scoring 5 runs in the bottom of the 6th. This five-run outburst gave Bernards an 8-3 lead that they never looked back from.

In the Rahway game, Jake Cawley hit a 3-run double to spark Bernards’ offesnse, and Devin Rivera went 3-3, with 2 doubles. Bernards scored 4 runs in the 1st inning, 12 runs in the second, and 4 runs in the third. Rahway scored 5 runs in the 5th inning, but Bernards sealed the win at 20-6.

Bernards played against Somerville on April 18th, losing a tight game 1-5. Bernards and Somerville were extremely close in the beginning of the game, with Somerville leading 2-1 up until the 5th inning.

At print, Bernards is scheduled to play against  Voorhees on April 21st, Colonia on April 22nd, and Warren Hills on April 26th. The team will look to bounce back from the Someville loss and win some games.