NBA All-Star Weekend leaves fans with mixed feelings

Ben Balian
The Knicks have been a surprise team this season.

There were some groundbreaking changes and results at the 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend, held in Indianapolis. From a Steph vs Sabrina three-point showdown to a high-pace All-Star Game, this world-renowned event had it all. This year, the NBA reverted back to an East vs West style. The Lakers’ Lebron James, fresh off breaking the NBA scoring record, led the Western Conference. He was joined by the following starters: Luka Doncic, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Kevin Durant, and Nikola Jokic. On the other hand, Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo captained the East. He shared the court with Damian Lillard, Tyrese Haliburton, Jayson Tatum, and Joel Embiid. Embiid, though, missed the game due to injury and was replaced by Bam Adebayo in the starting five.Paolo Banchero, Tyrese Maxey, and Scottie Barnes (replacement) all earned their first career selections in 2024.

The highly-anticipated matchup between NBA three-point leader Steph Curry and WNBA star Sabrina Ionescu did not disappoint. While Curry did reign victorious, Ionescu put up an impressive 26 points. That matched the highest score from the NBA contest. A lot of respect was shown between the two after their contest, which was certainly something fans enjoyed. Evan Schwartz ‘26 says “The Steph vs. Sabrina contest was my favorite event of All-Star Weekend.”

Before returning to the major event, here is a short recap of three other contests over the All-Star Weekend.

Three-Point Contest:  Damian Lillard of the Milwaukee Bucks won his second straight three-point contest. He defeated the likes of Lauri Markannen, Donovan Mitchell, Trae Young, Malik Beasley, Karl-Anthony Towns, Jalen Brunson, and Tyrese Haliburton.

Skills Challenge: In a relatively new format, the Indiana Pacers team, made up of Benedict Mathurin, Myles Turner, and Tyrese Haliburton, took the win in front of the home crowd. The Pacers squad defeated the team of #1 picks (Victor Wembanyama, Paolo Banchero, and Anthony Edwards) and the team of three All-Stars (Tyrese Maxey, Trae Young, and Scottie Barnes.)

Dunk Contest:  Another back-to-back winner, Mac McClung from the G-League, took home the dunk contest title. Many fans feel McClung deserves a shot in the NBA, and rightfully so. He has been playing great in the G-League, and also adds a spark with his dunking ability. He outlasted Jaylen Brown, Jacob Toppin, and Jaime Jaquez Jr. However, many fans believe that the dunk contest has worsened over the years. Ben Balian ‘27 says that “The NBA can fix all-star weekend by taking out the dunk contest and adding a one-on-one tournament.”

The game itself was a high-scoring affair, with minimal defense, electric dunks, and world-class shooting. To cap off his All-Star Weekend, Damian Lillard took home the MVP award. He finished with 39 points, 6 assists, and 3 rebounds. Lillard also had one of the game’s standout plays: a 51-foot shot from beyond half court. The East defeated the West, 211-186. This scoreline is hard to believe, but that is what the NBA All-Star Game has become. Karl-Anthony Towns put up 50 points and 8 rebounds. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Tyrese Haliburton, and Jaylen Brown all eclipsed 30 points on the night.

Outside of basketball, charities were also involved. The West was playing for the Boys and Girls Club of Indianapolis, which gives kids a caring environment to thrive in. Meanwhile, the East was playing for Special Olympics Indiana. Hundreds of thousands of dollars were donated to these organizations.