The legitimacy of a commercialized Christmas

Public Domain
Christmas gifts overflowing off of a store shelf.

Christmas is the time of year where everyone spreads Christmas cheer. This time of year families come together to be joyful. Many people have a feast to celebrate Christmas. Some like to tell stories about the big man in a red coat and a belly full of jelly. Laughter fills the room of people being happy. Has Christmas become  more about the gifts than what really matters most, family? Back in the day, Christmas was more about family than gifts. Which, in this generation, is how it should be. Unfortunately, it is not, it is more of a Competition on who got the better gift. Everyone should be thankful to have family to celebrate this wonderful holiday. Some children can not get a gift because some parents can not afford a gift. Some children know that getting a gift is not everything because having a loving family is what matters most. Christmas is not a birthday, where gifts are spread, this holiday is celebrated for the birth of Jesus and to appreciate a new family member coming into the world. Then after a while, religion started to lose interest in most people which then made Christmas about family.

Companies get more money during the holidays because people buy gifts and there are more jobs available. Companies get money on days like, Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Why should companies use this holiday just to get money? Yes, there are more jobs available during the holiday season but there are other places to work that do not require more workers because there are more customers for holiday shopping. According to About News, Black Friday got over more than a million people to spend more than a billion dollars this year. That is a ton of money! There is no need for this unnecessary shopping. There is a lot advertisement about the “hot items” to buy for Christmas. Which is a good thing because the more money the economy has the better it is. The bad part of this is that a customer may feel pressured to buy more than what they can afford.

No one should feel pressured to do anything. Students in Bernard’s high enjoy the surrounding of family during the holidays.

“I like Christmas because I get to see family I haven’t seen in awhile. Presents are just a bonus.”  Freshman, JT Dolan said.

Presents should be just a bonus. Family should not have to show their love by, buying gifts. It is definitely unnecessary.  Do not mistaken, little gifts are fine. For example, homemade gifts are always good. It it showing that people take time to make a gift special, but there should not be anything extraordinary. Many people during the holiday do not just make the Christmas season just about family, they make it about other people.

“One, year on Christmas Day my family and I went to a homeless shelter, which seems a little scary but we gave them jackets and good food to eat, but when you see the looks on the faces of the homeless people that have been sleeping on the cold sidewalk for however many years it brought me to think that how could I be so greedy with my Christmas list.” Freshman, Skylar Gosselin said.

There are a lot of students at bernards high with different backgrounds and they still believe that it is not about the gifts and it’s about spending Christmas with a loving, caring, healthy family. Even if someone does not have a religious background and does not go to church, many people do not have to believe that Christmas is about Jesus it could be about family instead. On Christmas Eve most people celebrate with family. Christmas carols are sung and it feels like a magical time at this time of year. Christmas lights remind families of all the good memories. Just remember on Christmas it’s not about the gifts it’s about family and to show and to thank for what people have, not what is wanted.