15 Unique Prom-posals

One of the 15 ways to ask a girl to prom using sticky notes
Meg Gunson

Year after the year, the juniors and seniors try to conjure up unique ways to ask someone to prom. The mainstream ideas of flowers and chocolates gets old after awhile. Here are some unique “prom-posals” that will guarantee you a partner to your special prom night:

15) The mainstream cake– Writing “PROM?” on a cake is completely traditional and old fashioned but if you do it in the right way with thought and timing it could be a great way to ask your special someone to prom. A lot of people think a cake is cliche but it will always guarantee a smile because you spent the money and put the thought into it.

14) Grab some food from Lenny’s or Kings– Pepperoni on a pizza can always find a way to a someone’s heart and same with spelling “PROM?” out in sushi. A guy or girl who loves to chow down will always say yes because the food comes with the package of going to prom with you. This is one that also sounds pretty mainstream but if you put thought into considering what they like it will always be a good option.

13) Throw them a sports ball– People like when you give them any sort of attention. The middle of the day you call their name out in the halls with everyone there and toss them a football saying “PROM?”. If the person is athletic this is a good way for you because they will know you have a sense of humor about going as dates.

Seniors pose for photo of promposal
Kate Conte
Seniors pose for photo of promposal

12) Would you go to prom with an “ass” like me?– This one could definitely be tricky but with some dedication and execution it is guaranteed to be a good laugh with a yes. Finding a donkey is the problem, but then the rest is easy: make a sign asking them to go to prom with the donkey on a leash. The key to it is catching him or her completely off guard.

11) Write it on the whiteboard behind the maps– Get to class a little early on Tuesday and with a bunch of different color erase markers and your finest bubble letters (boys may not be too hot at this) spell out in huge letters “PROM?”. You have to get the teacher in on it as well so that at the right time in the middle of class they can look up and see your invitation on the board. The redness of their face will determine how much you surprised them and their answer will be yes almost every time.

10) Through the newspaper or on the TV’s in the lunchroom– Now, I might be a little biased because I write for the school newspaper but imagine reading through your favorite section the day paper comes out and there is your name at the end of page, asking to go to prom. Or if they don’t read the newspaper, Go on up to Mr. Simoneau’s room, put a little performance on a camera and present it on the TV’s during their lunch period. All their friends will be present and then they will turn around and see you, hopefully with a big smile.

9) Write it on their dirty car– This one is a little specific. You need to have the right colored car at the right time of the year, but, if it can be executed well, it would be perfect. In huge letters take a rag and spell out “PROM?” on the side of their car. Best part of this one is it will be a constant reminder they are going to prom with you until they get a car wash!

8) Halftime at their sports game– If he or she is an athlete, asking them to prom at her halftime is the way to go. Imagine just coming off the field and being tired and sweaty. It is the last thing they will be expecting. Of course, you will have to get some other people involved but a few friends holding up posters should not be too difficult. My favorite part of this one is that their parents will most likely be at the game and see what a gentleman their daughter is going to prom with, or, vice versa, what a sense of humor she has when asking their son to prom.

7) Ask them in the fashion show– This one is pretty specific to the seniors at BHS but when you do it at the right time, the fashion show is a great way to ask people to prom. Holding up a sign or simply getting on one knee at the end of the runway is simple but still shows him or her off at the same time. The reaction will be timeless but everyone there will be there to see you work the charm on the runway.

Creative promposal using scantron
Kate Conte
Creative promposal using scantron

6) Writing it in a Scantron– Nothing ever can cheer anyone up when they see that stupid white and green Scantron laying on their desk to take a test or quiz, or so you think. “PROM?” spelled out in the bubbles horizontally will definitely ensure you get a smile on their face immediately. This is another one where you have to get the teacher involved and the timing right but definitely is a great unique way.

5) Write it in chalk on their driveway– Go to CVS, head down the kids aisle and pick up some chalk. Go to their house when she is not home (definitely give yourself some time because writing in chalk is a lot harder than you think) and spell “PROM?” out in huge letters. She’ll be driving up the street or driveway and see the huge letters and you standing there with flowers or chocolate, there is no possible way they will say no to the effort and you.

4) Put a fake police ticket on their car– This one can be easily done but still a humorous way to ask your person to prom. They will be very mad at first (don’t be offended), but, after they realize what it actually is with you standing there, they will laugh it off a give you a big hug, kind of to saying yes but also kind of happy they didn’t just get a ticket for their illegal parking spot.

3) Hang a big banner from the Olcott Building– You may think you don’t get easy access to the Olcott buildings roof but the stairs going up the back are easily accessible. So on your own time, make a huge sheet saying the person’s name and “PROM?” and the second they walk into the senior parking lot drop the banner from the top. It’s like the high school version of a billboard (and way cheaper).

Creative promposal idea
Kate Conte
Creative promposal idea

2) Changing your contact in their phone to Prom?– This one is one of the most unique ways and not very often done. Its one of the lighter ways so when asking a good friend or just a person you get along with you can snag their phone at lunch, change it really quick and then the timing is up to you, but it is very important because you still need to catch them off guard.

1) Morning Announcements– “I pledge allegiance, to the flag, Lisa come to the office if you want to go to prom with me.” On the countdown, asking your special someone to prom on the morning announcements is one of the most unique things you can do. Showcasing your proposal in front of the whole school not only shows some real dedication but also it adds some humor. They will definitely come say yes right away.