Far Hills Race Meeting drives family traditions

Ava Highland
Landscape of the field where the horses race at the Hunt

It’s that time of year again! The fall tradition of the Steeplechase, better known as “The Hunt,” is filled with horse racing, food, and visiting with family and friends. This fun takes a lot of hard work and planning for many months until April, which is when people send in a deposit in order to renew a plot. April is also the month when hosts of the Hunt reserve hay bales to be used as festive plot decorations as well as extra seating for guests. Reserving food is also done at least 3 to 4 weeks in advance. 

Two families that have been attending the Hunt for years are the Schmitt family and the Caponigro family. When the day finally arrives, the Schmitt family of Bedminster gets to the Hunt in the morning around 9:30 or 10:00 am to set up. This includes tables, food, drinks, ice, plates, cups, and decorations. Once their plot is set, they go back to their house where they like to start their “Hunt” day by having everyone get together at their house and stroll on over to the Hunt. Their preferred attire is cozy and snug. The family dresses for the weather wearing layers if it is cold and something light if it is warm. Boots are normally a go-to as well. Ms. Schmitt explained, “Depending on the weather of course, we usually wear jeans, layers, and comfortable shoes! Many people dress in fall colors or equestrian-themed clothes.” She also expressed that “[her] favorite thing is the gathering of friends and family and spending the day together” mimosas, shrimp cocktail and spinach or onion dip that they make themselves. The family enjoys hosting a betting game at their plot, visiting friends’ plots, and when the day comes to an end they all regroup back at Ms. Schmitt house.  

The Schmitt’s family food arrangement for people to eat while watching the races. (Linda Schmitt)

Another Family’s time at the hunt goes a little bit differently. The Caponigro family of Bernardsville takes on the Hunt by sending out invites no later than a month before. The day of, they make their way to the Hunt around 8:30 am and finish the setting up process by 11:00am. 

Ms. Capronigro’s most beloved aspect of the day is “Simply the sense of tradition and community [they] are able to foster through a patch of 20’ x 20’ land. She shares that “inviting people and having people drop-in creates memories and good will amongst friends”” which is all that matters in the end.” Their set up includes some things as simple as festive fall decorations and food such as flat iron steaks from Perottis, as well as beef and tuna sliders from Bella’s Burgers. They enjoy making a pulled pork station, as well as mac and cheese for everyone to devour.

Ms. Caponigro explained her family’s favorite tradition of “[having] a platform secured to the top of [their] SUV so that the teens can climb on top of the car and watch the races.” 

The Caponigro’s hosting a plot for people to chat and catch up (Patty Caponigro )

The hunt is a great way to make memories for the families, friends, and everyone who ventures there.