streaming networks continue to spread christmas joy

Sarah Flores-Torres

As the holiday season rolls around, holiday spirit begins to fill televisions across the country. Both traditional, old movies and newly released movies are constantly being streamed throughout several different networks. Freeform and Hallmark take the crown every year, attracting the most viewers with the best films.

Hallmark draws in 2.5 million viewers on average every holiday season, catching their attention with streamings of fan favorites and new holiday romantics. Hallmark is most popular for their Christmas love stories, and every year they do not disappoint, as they manage to produce new ones every Christmas season. 

Freeform similarly experiences surges of viewers during the holiday season. During their holiday showings, they attract 3-4 million viewers throughout their “25 Days of Christmas”. This is an annual seasonal event of Christmas programming broadcast during the month of December, and has been held ever since the year of 1996. Not only does this event appear on Freeform, it is also available on The Family Channel, Fox Family and ABC Family.

This year’s 25 Days of Christmas festive schedule includes, “multiple showings of Home Alone, and its various sequels, Jingle All the Way, Love Actually, The Preacher’s Wife and the Santa Clause Trilogy. Viewers will also find beloved Rankin/Bass classics- including Frosty the SnowMan, Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer and Santa Clause is Coming to Town– and marathons of The Simpsons and Family Guy.”

Though some are excited and happy about the schedule, many people are disappointed. Both films,  Elf and The Polar Express are not included in the 25 Days of Christmas. Freeform recently lost the rights to show both of these films, and for that reason fans must turn to other streaming networks to watch them. 

Hallmark continues to please their viewers with a release of 41 new films in the 2021 holiday season. Lifetime is not far behind, releasing 35 films this year. Netflix is releasing 11 holiday-themed originals in honor of the holiday spirit.

Hallmark began their holiday viewings early, beginning on October 17th. They have shown You, Me, & the Christmas Tree, Boyfriends of Christmas Past, The Santa Stakeout, Christmas in Harmony, Coyote Creek Christmas, and Christmas Sail. From this point on, Hallmark will stream at least one new holiday film every evening up until Christmas.

Not only has Christmas arrived on Freeform, Hallmark and more of our known channels, but Christmas has finally arrived on Netflix, this service just released its 2021 holiday schedule and the upcoming movies and series. These dozen new films include romantic Christmas movies, funny Christmas movies, and family-friendly Christmas movies. 

Fans will be delighted to have a plethora of films to select from this holiday season. Fans of The Princess Switch can look forward to the final film in the franchise, with Vanessa Hudgens playing 3 royal roles. Single All the Way, starring Jennifer Coolidge, Philemon Chambers, and Michael Urie. 

Watching A Boy called Christmas with your family might just become a new favorite christmas tradition. If you’re feeling competitive this holiday season, get ready to binge watch some fun new Christmas themed shows: The great britain baking show: holidays, school of chocolate and blown away: who knows– you might just find some holiday baking inspiration.”