Women’s March March Madness Preview

University of Connecticut: With a team of 7 freshmen, 2 sophomores, and 3 juniors the University of Connecticut is the nationally ranked No. 1 seed. Led by Paige Bueckers, who has already received Big East Freshman and Player of the Year and is in the running for National Player of the Year, and Cristyn Williams, Big East first team, the Huskies are a major threat. Coach Geno Auriemma says that he’s “never been more proud of any team,” and is looking forward to competing in the Tournament. The Huskies are entering the Tournament as the No. 1 seed in the Mercado Region.

Stanford University: Finishing 1st in the PAC-12, and 2nd in the Nation, the Stanford Women’s Basketball team is headed to the NCAA Tournament as a favorite. Led by senior guard, Kiana Williams, who set a PAC-12 championship record with 6 made three-pointers, and junior guard, Lexi Hull, who has accumulated 42 steals this season thus far, the Cardinal are coached by Tara VanDerveer. Stanford is entering the Tournament as the No. 1 seed in the Alamo Region.

University of Texas: Standing at 5th in the Big 12, the women’s basketball team at Texas finished with a 17-8 record. With a relatively young team, containing only one graduate senior, the Longhorns rally behind their 6’5” center, Charli Collier. The junior has already declared that she will be continuing on after this season to the WNBA. A projected number one pick, Collier’s presence will be needed for the Longhorns to make a run in the Tournament. The team is coached by Vic Schaefer. Texas stands at the No. 7 seed in the Alamo Region.

South Dakota State: The Jackrabbits finished 1st in the Summit League with a 21-3 record. The Jackrabbits are led by redshirt junior forward, Myah Selland, who leads the team in points and assists. Selland suffered a season ending injury last season, yet came back this year for SDSU. The Jackrabbits are coached by Aaron Johnston, and are entering the Tournament at No. 9 in the River Walk Region.

Rutgers: The Scarlet Knights finished 3rd in the Big Ten with a 14-4 record. Due to positive COVID-19 cases throughout the program in early January, the Scarlet Knights missed a total of 8 games during the regular season, but the team rallied to win 9 of their last 10 games. The Scarlet Knights are led by redshirt senior guard, Arella Guirantes, who leads the team in points, assists, and blocks. The Rutgers Women’s Basketball team is coached by C. Vivian Stringer, and the Scarlet Knights are entering the Tournament at the No. 6 seed in the Hemisfair Region.