Top Christmas Movies

With only three days before Christmas it is either now or never to get into that Christmas spirit. There is always the excitement of going to the movie theaters, but what’s better than staying home and watching a good old fashioned Christmas family movie? We asked the students of BHS which their favorite holiday movies were, and here are the results:

A Christmas Story is a classic Christmas movie, that people have enjoyed since its release in 1983. 22% of the students who took this poll chose this movie as their favorite holiday movie! Not only is it one of the very few movies that has a 24 hour marathon, it’s also one of the few movies that later got turned into a book. The movie starts with an adult Ralph Parker Played by Peter Billingsley who has a flashback to his ninth Christmas. The movie follows with a young Ralphie who spends most of his time avoiding a bully and wanting a present. Unfortunately he is usually met with his moody dad Played by Darren McGavin but his adoring mother (Played by Melinda Dillon) is always there for him. When the big day comes, and all the presents are around the Christmas tree, will he get the gift he wanted after all? Freshman Luke Reinen said, “Christmas Story is always a classic movie to watch during the holiday season. I love the aspects of comedy in the film.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas is a movie that was a big part of many students’ childhoods. 5% of the students that took this poll chose this movie as their favorite. How The Grinch Stole Christmas, formally known as The Grinch in the movie theater, was originally a book written by Dr. Suess, then made into a short film in 1996, and finally made into a movie in 2000 known as The Grinch. The Grinch, a disgusting creature who hates Christmas, is set to ruin Christmas for all the people in Whoville. He goes into every home and steals all of their presents. He thought he would get away with all of the gifts, but he was wrong.

Home Alone is a lighthearted and fun movie to watch during the holiday season, racking in 30% of students’ votes. When an eight year old kid named Kevin McCallister (Played by Macaulay Culkin) misbehaves the night before the family trip to Paris, his mom (Played by Catherine O’Hara) forces him to sleep in the attic. After the McCallister family accidentally forgets Kevin at home, Kevin believes that his wish, for his family to disappear, actually came true. Now alone in a house where you can do anything you want, what would you do? Well, Kevin has his fun until two men named Harry and Marv plan to rob the McCallister house, Kevin is left to protect his home, and you would be surprised to see the damage an eight year old can do.

Elf was the movie voted by the most students, with 43% of them naming this movie as their favorite! Being a classic, lighthearted, and witty holiday comedy, Elf is a great movie to snuggle up to during the holiday season. Buddy, played by Will Ferrell, was accidentally brought to the North Pole with Santa when he was a baby. He is raised in the North Pole from a toddler to an adult, along with Santa’s elves. After Buddy realizes he doesn’t fit, he sets out to go to New York to find his dad Walter Hobbs Played by James Caan who is a mean businessman. When he arrives at New York in his full Elf suit around Christmas time, he goes to Walter’s office, The Empire State Building. Buddy then tells him that he is his son, but Walter does not believe him, so they go to a doctor to take the DNA test. The DNA test proves Buddy is Walter’s son, therefore they start to bond. Walter takes Buddy home to meet his family, and the family loves him. Along the way Buddy gets a job, meets a girl, starts to date, and goes on adventures, until it’s Christmas…

Classics are classics, and regardless of how hard you try, they will never be forgotten. They are the movies you go back to and watch. Whether they’re Christmas or not they will always bring joy and laughter to the audience. Always remember the best way to spread Christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear.