iOS 10: What’s New

With Apple’s release of iOS 10 on Tuesday, September 13, new features have been added to the iPhone. Notifications, Messages, and more have a whole new look. Following are the many new features included in the release of iOS 10:

For Apple apps, such as Stocks and Tips, that one might not use heavily, there is now the ability to delete these applications. This ability is beneficial because it can help free up storage. If one accidentally deletes any of these apps, they may be downloaded again in Settings.

Many new features included in the iOS 10 update affect the iPhone’s messaging experience. Third-party apps may now be downloaded for iMessage to help make conversations more fun, such as drawing animated messages. The new software also allows for the phone to recognize when a word being typed has a corresponding emoji. When the phone recognizes this, a suggestions of said emoji will appear. Additionally, read receipts can be turned on for individuals, as well as in general. When asked what her favorite new iMessaging feature is, student Megan Mlynarski said she likes when she “sends a text and confetti comes down,” an additional new iMessaging feature included in the iOS 10 update.

With a fresh emphasis on easy accessibility, many iOS 10 features are aimed towards making the iPhone as easy to use as possible. One such new feature is “raise to wake”. The “raise to wake” feature enables the iPhone’s lock screen to illuminate just by simply picking up the iPhone. In addition to this, according to apple.com, Maps can also now remember where you parked and will drop a pin showing where. This will help individuals who have trouble remembering where their car is parked in a huge parking lot.

The iOS 10 update has also had its effect on the iPhone’s music listening experience. The music app now has a whole new look and design, and allows users to read lyrics while listening to a song. Also, Camera now allows music to keep playing while that perfect picture is taken.

One general change that is included in the iOS 10 update is that in order to use a fingerprint to access the phone, the home button must also be pressed. If users do not wish to have this ability, going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button and then “Rest Finger to Open” will revert it back.

For high school students who struggle to get a good night’s sleep, the Bedtime feature on Clock can remind you to go to bed. The set-up process includes being asked what time you wish to be woken up at, which days of the week it should go off, and how many hours you want to sleep for. Bernards student, Katy Romano, stated that she likes the Bedtime app that because it “ensures a good night’s sleep, something that is nice when [she has] a hectic school schedule”.

The features that have been brought in through iOS 10 are new and helpful for those who want to make their phone have more of a personal touch.