Seniors Strut The Runway

Molly Kauffman and Sophia Das link arms to walk down the runway.
Ava Cummings

Each year, only one event brings together BHS seniors, accompanied by their friends and family, with clothing designed and created by local retailers: the annual Bernards High School Senior Fashion Show.

At seven o’clock on Saturday, February 28th, the family members and peers of the senior models took their seats and awaited for the show to begin. Starting off the night was an introduction by Seniors Ali Kramer and Conor McShane, who acted together as the comedic hosts of the show. The two continued to offer their commentary throughout the course of the evening.

Kyle Verduin and Andrew Martin model formal wear.
Ava Cummings

Split into two sections with an intersession between, the first leg of the fashion show presented day-time looks that originated everywhere from large local retailers, such as Marshalls, Old Navy and REI, to small boutiques, such as the Peapack-based Urban Cottage and Paradise in Morristown.

Senior Meg Gunson said, “It was really awesome to wear something we wouldn’t normally be able to wear at school or even afford.”  The event continued with the evening-wear portion of the show, in which the senior boys displayed tuxedos from a number of local retailers while the senior girls each wore a personal evening dress of their choice.

Started years ago as a fun way to both celebrate the year’s graduating seniors as well as raise money for Project Graduation, the annual Senior Fashion show has evolved into a mass production of seniors, local retailers, hair and makeup designers, catering companies, set designers, and lighting specialists; all orchestrated to perfection by the parents of the senior class.

This year’s 2015 Senior Fashion show offered something specific for everyone. For the seniors modeling in the show and for their accompanying kin, the night provided a bittersweet closure to the year and to the high school careers of those participating. And at the same time, for fashion enthusiasts and appreciators, the night offered a great showcase of the clothing available at these local retailers. The 2015 Senior Mardi Gras Fashion Show was a show appealing to all and a night to remember.