Super Bowl Commercials “Kick-off” Conversation

Super Bowl Commercials Kick-off Conversation
Photo Courtsey Pixabay.com

The Super Bowl is one of the most viewed televised events with 114 million viewers tuning in. Not only do people tune in for the game, but many look forward to the reveal of commercials. A 30-second advertisement, during the 2015 Super Bowl, cost around $4.5 million. That is an average of $150,000 per second.

I thought the Nationwide commercial was very depressing, but it got the point across.

— Freshman Lauren Browne

One of the most controversial ads during the game was presented by Nationwide, “Make Safe Happen”. The commercial was focusing on raising awareness on preventable accidents. In the commercial a boy recalled memorable events that he would not fulfill because of his young death. The aim of this commercial was to “make safe happen” but many viewers saw it as offensive and inappropriate.

Freshman Lauren Browne said, “I thought the Nationwide commercial was very depressing, but it got the point across.”

This was only one of many advertisements that sparked dispute between viewers and companies. The new Fiat 500x commercial involved a pill along with provocative taglines. Many viewers found this specific commercial to not be family-friendly and not an appropriate commercial to be aired during the Super Bowl event.

Some of the other favorites included Budweiser’s  “Lost Dog” commercial, which is a sequel to last years, and Jeep’s “This Land Is Your Land.”

Freshman Olivia Gill said, “I thought the Budweiser commercial was very cute and captured the attention of the audience.”

With the cost of each advertisement around $4.5 million, one would hope the company benefits.