Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels Star in Well-Know Sequel

Photo by Shutterstock

Dumb and Dumber To is the sequel to the original Dumb and Dumber released in 1994. Dumb and Dumber To is written and directed by the Farrelly brothers who also wrote the first movie. Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels will reprise their roles as Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne respectively.

Like in the first film, Dumb and Dumber To follows the duo as they embark on a road trip, except this time they are searching for Harry’s daughter in hopes of gaining a kidney for Harry. As the duo searches to find Harry’s daughter, their antics from the previous film are featured. The quirky personalities of the supporting characters such as Adele Pichlow (Laurie Holden), Travis and Captain Lippincott (Rob Riggle) also add to the film’s comical nature.

Dumb and Dumber To had a high expectations from critics based on the original, Dumb and Dumber, but just couldn’t meet up to those expectations. There were some moments that had the audience laughing, but there just wasn’t enough to make it better than the original. Sometimes the jokes seem mean-spirited and the plot doesn’t hold up to the potential it could’ve had.

Another issue was that many of the jokes seemed flat or outdated and that the writers were forcing a laugh rather than naturally making the audience laugh with subtle jokes. The plot was well written throughout the movie, but the ending could’ve been more substantial.

Despite being mostly jokes and gags, the movie did have some very heartfelt moments such as a speech Lloyd gives in the beginning. Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels did a great job executing the characters like they did in the first film, but lacked the audience connection they achieved in the first film. Although Dumb and Dumber To couldn’t live up to the expectations set by its predecessor, it still was a great film.