The True Story of Redemption Becomes a Movie

Photo by Shutterstock

Unbroken, a groundbreaking biography by Laura Hillenbrand, is a heroic tale chronicling Louis Zamperini, an Italian-American. As a child, Louis was impulsive, and could not be controlled by his parents. They force him to use his energy to run, instead. Running soon turns into Louis’s new hobby.  His running technique improves overtime, and his passion drives him to the summer Olympics in Germany. Following his seventh place victory, Zamperini gets drafted into the US army during World War II.

Zamperini trains to be a bombardier. Not long after he is trained, his plane, the Green Hornet, crashes into the ocean killing all members aboard except for three, including himself. He, and two crewman, Phil, and Mac remain adrift in the Indian Ocean for 47 days. In the 47 days they travel 2000 miles. On the brink of death, the Japanese capture him and his mates. Louis is shuffled to various camps, and is physically abused for two years, yet his mental, and emotional strength keep him alive.

Hillenbrand illustrates the brutality of the Japanese through Louis’s first-hand accounts of what it was like to be a prisoner of war. Readers witness a miraculous story unfold through Louis’s perspective. Unbroken was rated four and a half out of five stars by Barnes and Noble. It was also the winner of the Los Angeles Times Book of the Year Award for Nonfiction, according to Indiewire. Many took interest in Hillebrands brilliant novel, including award winning actor Angelina Jolie. She is directing this new motion picture. Louis Zamperini is played by Jack O’Connell, and Domhnall Gleeson will play Russel Allen ‘Phil’ Phillips.

Sophomore Sy Labrunda said, “I would have had Tom Cruise play Louis instead, and if Bruce Lee were still alive I would have him play the Bird.” One controversy with producing this movie was whether or not to include Zamperini’s significant religious revelation. This was a major concept in the novel, but will not appear on the big screen.

Many believe Jolie’s choice to cut this aspect will leave the interpretation of his life story dry, and without an extraordinary ending. “It will not be as good a film without the story of his overcoming faith. It could be a great movie,” according GodReports, “but not without the story of his spiritual release, which is just as important as his physical release from captivity.” Legendary Pictures will release the movie on Christmas Day.