Spring trout season begins

Grayson Meyer
Rainbow trout caught in a local river during the beginning of trout season

On the opening day of trout season, the second Saturday of this month, April 8, fishermen flocked to local streams looking to get a taste of the untouched trout hiding in the shade. With New Jersey hatcheries having been hard at work for the past month, there are now thousands of game fish in rivers and streams. For those looking to enter the world of fishing, now is the time.

The Fish and Wildlife’s Pequest Trout Hatchery has stocked approximately 184,000 fish in the three weeks prior to opening day and will have a total of 584,000 fish released by the end of stocking, meaning plenty of fish in our rivers and streams for both new and experienced fishermen. These fish consist of a mix of brown trout, brook trout, golden trout, and more commonly rainbow trout, all of which can weigh up to a whopping 7 pounds.

Grayson Meyer, a BHS sophomore and fisherman, has been fishing for many years and said that although these stocked fish are biting, the “bite” is slowing down as they get wary of bait, lures, and flys. This phenomenon is quite common as spring trout season goes on, and is one reason why so many fishermen try to get out early on in the season while the bite is still strong.
For those hoping to get in on some of this trout action, be sure to purchase a general fishing license as well as a trout stamp from the New Jersey Fish and Wildlife Division. Game wardens monitor streams carefully, checking for stamps and licenses, and fishing without a license or stamp may leave you liable to fines. A trout stamp costs only $10.50, with general state licenses costing $22.50; a worthwhile investment for most.

Many of the local rivers have been stocked in the area, consisting of much of the Raritan river, parts of both the Lamington and Passaic rivers, and Spooky Brook Park Pond. For more information on the specifics of these stocking areas you can visit the New Jersey Fish and Wildlife’s website for a county by county breakdown of more stocked rivers and streams, as well as public access points to these fishing spots.

If by chance, while fishing some of these stocked areas, you are lucky enough to stumble upon a tagged fish, you can also qualify for a free rod and reel setup by submitting a form to the New Jersey Fish and Wildlife’s “Hook-A-Winner” competition. Started in 1998, this competition adds a new aspect to fishing, incentivizing the sport, as well as making the chase of these 1,000 jaw-tagged fish much more thrilling for the average fisherman.