Rumors of Swift and Alwyn’s breakup spread

Social media has recently been flooded with speculation of Joe Alwyn and Taylor Swift splitting up after being together for six years. This news came as a shock to many of Taylor’s listeners because Taylor herself has written songs and albums about Joe. Some of these songs, being “All of the Girls You Loved Before”, “Lover”, and “Cornelia”, having lyrics like: “I wanna teach you what forever feels like”, “Can we always be this close, forever and ever”, and “I hope I never lose you, hope it never ends”, which were all songs dedicated to Alwyn on the album, Lover.

Not only have several songs been dedicated to Alwyn, but Swift has also written songs with him. Taylor has been writing songs about him since her Reputation album in 2017, but Joe’s first appearance in co-writing songs began with Folklore, the album that came out during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. Not only has Alwyn written parts of “betty” and “exile”, but he continued to write from there. Alwyn also helped write songs on Evermore and Swift’s newest album, Midnights, under the pen name William Bowery.

Despite this, the two are still said to have split earlier this month. Neither of the two have confirmed or denied their breakup, but what is confirmed is Swift changing the songs she had written about Alwyn on the setlist of her tour. Fans have reported that the singer changed the song “cowboy like me” from the Evermore album, which “tells the story of two young swindlers who fall in love. Swift is used to her and her partner in crime using their charms to scam rich old men and ladies…”, says Songfacts, to “champagne problems” on the same album, which is told “from the perspective of a troubled girlfriend who turns down her lover’s earnest marriage proposal due to her not feeling ready. The song depicts the narrator taking responsibility for the breakup and mourning the faded relationship”, claims Wikipedia.

People Entertainment wrote an article on the breakup, providing opinions from Alwyn and Swift’s friends. Apparently, “their split was largely caused by “differences in their personalities”, said a friend of Swift’s. Alwyn and Swift have “had rough patches before and always worked things out, so friends thought they would take some time apart but eventually come back together…”, which gives swifties some hope for the broken up couple, but then finishes with, “ultimately, [Swift and Alwyn] weren’t the right fit for one another” and that “Joe has struggled with Taylor’s level of fame and the attention from the public”. Only Alwyn and Swift know what will come of their future relationship, but we can only hope that they find their way back to each other.