Balenciaga scandal: How the luxury fashion house lost countless customers and angered the masses

Rose Costello
Balenciaga posted an apology for the scandal on its Instagram

Balenciaga, the designer fashion brand created by Cristobal Balenciaga, has shaken the world with the campaign for their Gift Collection Campaign and their campaign promoting their Spring/Summer 2023 collection. The Gift Collection featured children holding teddy bears, which were dressed in BDSM-style outfits and harnesses, and the Spring/Summer 2023 campaign included a photo from the Supreme Court Ruling “United States v. Williams,” which confirmed child pornography is not protected by freedom of speech. The advertisements have triggered many who have seen the ad as child pornography and endangerment.

On November 24, 2022, Balenciaga issued their first statement on Instagram addressing the controversy:

“We sincerely apologize for any offense our holiday campaign may have caused. Our plush bear bags should not have been featured with children in this campaign. We have immediately removed the campaign from all platforms.”

Kim Kardashian, often partnering with Balenciaga and seen wearing their clothes on The Kardashians series on Hulu and even at the Met Gala in 2021, broke her silence on the matter on November 27, 2022, on both her Instagram and Twitter accounts. Kardashian explained how the campaign left her both “disgusted” and “outraged,” and has been “shaken” by the campaign as a mother.

“The safety of children must be left with the highest regard,” says Kardashian, “and any attempts to normalize child abuse of any kind should have no place in our society- period.”

Kardashian goes on to say that she appreciates Balenciaga’s removal of the campaigns and that she believes they understand the significance of the matter. She also states that she will be “reevaluating” her relationship with the brand, so the future of their relationship is currently unknown.

Balenciaga released another statement the day after Kardashian’s, explaining in more detail what the pictures were supposed to represent in an attempt to clear the air about the controversy. The first explanation goes into detail about the first campaign, or the “Gift Collection”, stating that they are aware that children should not have been displayed alongside this collection, which included plush bear bags in BDSM-style outfits and harnesses.

“This was a wrong choice by Balenciaga, combined with our failure in assessing and validating images. The responsibility for this lies with Balenciaga alone.”

The second paragraph describes the setting of the second campaign for their Spring/Summer 2023 collection, which had included “a photo with a page in the background from a Supreme Court ruling ‘United States V. Williams’ 2008, which confirms as illegal and not protected by freedom of speech the promotion of child pornography.” Balenciaga further explains that all the materials involved in the shoot were chosen by third parties that had said in writing that the props were fake office documents. However, these documents had actually turned out to be real legal papers used from a television drama. Balenciaga filed a $25 million lawsuit against the campaign production company North Six and set designer Nicholas Des Jardins on November 25, 2022, for their “inexplicable acts and omissions.”

“The inclusion of these unapproved documents was the result of reckless negligence for which Balenciaga has filed a complaint. We take full accountability for our lack of oversight and control of the documents in the background and we could have done things differently.”

Balenciaga concludes its statement with the actions they are going to take while there are investigations commencing, including making revisions to its organization and creative processes, as well as working alongside child protection programs with the goal of ending child abuse and exploitation.

“We want to learn from our mistakes and identify ways we can contribute. Balenciaga reiterates its sincere apologies for the offense we have caused and extends its apologies to talents and partners.”

Balenciaga’s creative director, Denma Gvasalia, had his Global Voice Award revoked by The Business of Fashion on November 28, 2022. The designer released a personal statement on both his personal and professional Instagram accounts on December 2, 2022, addressing the controversy.

“[Denma] want[s] to personally apologize for the wrong artistic choice of concept for the gifting campaign with the kids and I take my responsibility. It was inappropriate to have kids promote objects that had nothing to do with them.”

Denma continues to say that he had no aim to include child abuse in his work, but that he needs to learn from this experience and do so through child protection organizations in order to help on this horrific matter.

“I apologize to anyone offended by the visuals,” says Denma,“and Balenciaga has guaranteed that adequate measures will be taken not only to avoid similar mistakes in the future but also to take accountability in protecting child welfare in every way we can.”

While Balenciaga is making countless attempts to restore the good name the company once held, the only deciding factors of its fate are the people offended and disturbed, and if they will choose to forgive this horrible scandal.