TikTok star Charli D’Amelio and her mom compete on DWTS

Spencer Sorge
Charli and her “Dancing With The Stars” partner Mark Ballas.

TikTok star Charli D’Amelio (18) and her mom, Heidi D’Amelio (50), are the first mother daughter pair to compete on Dancing With The Stars. On September 7th, they were the first competitors revealed for the show’s 31st season. Not only are they the first mother daughter pair to be on the show in one season, but they are on separate teams. Charli is competing with professional dancer Mark Ballas, and Heidi with Artem Chigvinsev.

While they both have a leg up from their competitive dance backgrounds, Charli said that she is “really going to work on the technical parts of ballroom dance” because it is very different from her usual training.

Heidi said that while she was a competitive dancer in high school, “it’s been a really long time, and we’ll see if it’s like riding a bike, and if I can like pick up choreography.”

Both contestants expressed that they were so excited they thought it was a prank when they found out they had been chosen for the show’s new season. When asked about the family rivalry Charli said, “It would be nice to have some smack talk, but [Heidis] still my mother, and you know I’m 18, but she could still ground me if she wants to, so it can’t be too harsh I do have to remember she’s my mom and I have to respect her.”

Charli and Heidi discussed who they think Dixie and Marc will vote for, and Charli seemed to think she’s got Dixie’s vote. Saying, “I think my sister is definitely on my side, you know she is my roommate, so she has to live with me.”

Heidi however, didn’t think Charli should be so confident because “[she does] still cook for her [Dixie] sometimes.” They also admitted that they will definitely be lobbying for votes from family and friends. Their rivalry is all in good fun, and both of the girls are ecstatic to compete.

In an interview with Good Morning America on September 7th, Charli revealed that “she would love to maybe do a little nod to why [she] is here” regarding her TikTok dancing career, and in the season premiere she did just that. Her and her partner, Mark Ballas, performed the highest scoring dance of the night (32 points), a cha cha to a remix of “Savage” by Meg the Stallion. Meanwhile, Heidi and her partner Artem Chigvinsev were 8th (24 points) on the leaderboard for their cha cha to “Lady Marmalade” by Christina Agulera. Both partnerships performed impressive routines and advanced safely into the next week’s competition.