Super bowl LVI’s halftime show brings fans back in time

Ava Highland
Snoop Dogg’s half-time show performance at the Super Bowl

On Sunday, February 13, 2022, Hip-hop singer, Mary J. Bilge joined rappers, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Eminem, and Kendrick Lamar on stage for the Super Bowl LVl Halftime Show, in SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. The much anticipated lineup excited fans of both football and music. This performance followed The Weeknd’s Halftime performance in Tampa, Florida during the previous Super Bowl. 

Bilge made her second appearance on the Super Bowl stage as the only performer, out of this line up, to play at a Halftime Show before; Bilge also played the 2001 Halftime Show. 

Dr. Dre’s career took flight in 1986; When he was in the group N.W.A.

The 50-year-old rapper, Snoop Dogg began his career in 1992, and has since released 18 studio albums. The New York Times went in depth to explain that Snoop Dogg’s “early career was intimately tied to Dr. Dre — his blockbuster 1993 debut, “Doggystyle,” came out on Death Row Records, the label Dre helped found, and featured the producer’s signature palate of slow-rolling G-funk.”

Eminem began his career with his big break in 1996. Over the course of his 26 year long career, he has received 15 grammy’s. 

At 34-years-old, the rapper Kendrick Lamar, has won a total of 13 grammy’s and released four albums. Lamar is widely known for his songs on the soundtrack of the movie, “Black Panther.” 

According to a New York Times article, “This year’s show was the third straight to be co-produced by Roc Nation, the entertainment and sports company,” which is led by Jay-Z.

The New York Times also explained that “the first time a rapper joined a Super Bowl halftime lineup was in 1998: It was Queen Latifah, and she didn’t rap; she sang as part of a Motown tribute. In the years since, hip-hop has landed a handful of moments on one of sports’ and entertainment’s biggest stages, but it hasn’t held the full spotlight until Sunday evening.”

The performance opened with Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre singing the 2000 hit-single, “The Next Episode.” The two were followed by surprise performer, 50 Cent singing, “In Da Club.” 

Blige took to the stage wearing knee-high boots and a bodysuit embellished with Swarovski crystals, animal print mirrors, and pear beadwork. The outfit was created by Dundas, with help from Blige and her stylist, Jason Rembert. 

Blige released her 14th Studio LP just a few days before the Super Bowl, but performed two of her beloved, and older songs, “Family Affair” and “No More Drama.”

Along with the perfectly in sync dancers, Kendrick Lamar performed his song “M.A.A.D. City,” released in 2012; And from 2015, his widely-known song, “Alright.”

Eminem was accompanied by Anderson Paak on drums, as he sang “Lose Yourself.” Eminem ended his performance as he knelt down for Dr. Dre, on the piano, who he looks up to as a mentor and inspiration. 

The halftime performance gave viewers a blast from the blast, along with the more current music from Kendrick Lamar.