NFL Returns: Latest Headlines, COVID-19 Update, and Standings

With much uncertainty and restrictions looming the NFL season… football is finally back.

As NFL fans sat hopelessly through the COVID-19 pandemic with little hope of a season, the NFLPA and league officials agreed on starting their 101st season.

The cancellation of preseason and most of training camp was a bold, but strategic move to limit the spread of Coronavirus around the league. Three weeks into the 2020 season, just two teams have been affected by the coronavirus. After a Week 3 shootout between the Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans, 8 players tested positive of COVID-19. Both teams will suspend in-person activities, as all people within the teams facilities were sent home Tuesday morning. Despite not being able to practice to prepare for week 4, league officials are creating plans to continue the season, avoiding anymore outbreaks.

Aside from all of the COVID-19 restrictions, the NFL season has been off to a crazy start. A long list of MVP Candidates, undefeated teams, and injuries have all been the NFL’s biggest storylines thus far. 

Quarterbacks are continuing to dominate the league, as Seattle’s Russell Wilson, Kansas City’s Patrick Mahomes, and Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers have all been off to MVP-caliber starts. These three guys have continued to showcase their prolific skillset and light up opposing defenses. All three have started this season 3-0, with statistics that speak for itself. Russell Wilson’s 14-1 TD-INT ratio (touchdown-interception), and 925 passing yards showcase how dominant he’s been through the first three weeks of the season. Defending Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes has picked up exactly where he left off, throwing for 900 yards, 9 touchdowns and a whopping 0 interceptions. Finally, Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers looks to be back in “MVP form” as he remains one of the best game-managers in all of football with 10 total scores.

Along with their individual success has come their teams, the Kansas City, Seattle, and Green Bay; the Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Chicago Bears all join them. With much football left to play, each of these unbeaten teams will look to continue their early season success over the next 3 months.

Through the first three weeks of the NFL season, the league has dealt with some brutal injuries. Stars such as Saquon Barkley (Giants), Nick Bosa (49ers), Christian McCaffrey (Panthers), and Von Miller (Broncos), all dealt with injuries early on that have cost them their seasons. Not only was it upsetting to watch these Pro-Bowlers go down, but each player has a significant role on their respective teams.

As the 2020 NFL Season has begun, sports fans around the world can feel the excitement of America’s Game being played every Sunday, for the next 20 weeks.