Annual Far Hills The Hunt: Recap

This past Saturday, October 15th, the 96th annual Far Hills Race Meeting occurred on a beautiful fall day, and was a success as usual. It is a prestigious fall social event with horse races and tailgates that residents of central New Jersey look forward to all year. Over 30,000 people attended the extremely popular event, with many families, but also many high school and college students there. It ranges from those who go solely to watch the races, and those who just go to tailgate and party.  It took place on the 230-acre Moorland Farm in Far Hills. Gates opened at 8 a.m, with many starting the party early even though the first of seven races started at 1 p.m. The final race begins at 5 p.m., and many stay until 6 or 7 pm. Although criticized for being a “drunk fest”, the Hunt has donated over $18 million since the 1950’s to the Somerset Health Care Foundation.

Many people purchased a tailgating spot, with families typically buying a spot in the outfield and college students usually staying in the infield. Tailgating has been a tradition at the Hunt for as long as it’s been around, and many family spots have stereos, mini-bars, snacks, and chairs to spend the day in.

There was also increased security this year, in order to curb drunk and disorderly behavior in the infield. This year, there were 35 arrests, some for disorderly conduct, public nuisance, and public urination. Although the Hunt is an exciting way for many college kids from New Jersey to come home and see their friends, it can easily get out of hand.

Many students from Bernards attended the Hunt this year, with most looking forward to the event all year. Students compare it to Christmas, as it is such a well-known event, and one of the highlights of the year for our school. Danielle Vandenhenrik, a senior at Bernards, says that she loves going to the Hunt “because it’s the one event of the year where you can see everyone from Bernards and alumni come together to just have fun”. She also likes “going because it’s very entertaining to socialize with your friends and meet new people from the area”.screen-shot-2016-10-26-at-9-22-28-am

From left: Romie Tufaro, Maisy Reddi, Gianna Novella, Ashley Peterson, Madison Walsh, Danielle Vandenhenrik, and Ciara Guglietta before the Hunt

Many girls obsess over their “Hunt Outfit”, frantically looking for months for on-trend fall outfits weeks before the event, typically wearing fancy attire including big hats, skirts, riding boots, vests, etc. Junior Cara Scaliti said, “A lot of girls spent lots of time planning out their Hunt outfits. Though most girls looked the same, it was definitely worth it.” Guys typically sport preppy outfits as well with khakis, flannels, sports jackets, collared shirts, and boots. Many students enjoy the day with their families in the outfield, but a majority of the students spend their Hunt in the infield with their friends. Many students love the tradition of this renown event, and are already counting down the days until the the Hunt 2017!screen-shot-2016-10-26-at-9-22-18-am

From left: Isabel Haut, Julia Duthie, and Cara Scaliti enjoying the day.