Artist on the Rise: Halsey

Wrapping up her first headlining tour, Badlands, Halsey is continuing to climb her way up in the music industry. The last stop on the Badlands tour was a concert in New York’s Madison Square Garden on August 21, 2016, which was sold out in just three weeks. Halsey is currently best known for her debut in the new hit song “Closer” by the Chainsmokers, which has gone double platinum and is currently in the #1 spot on the Hot 100. The Chainsmokers and Halsey got to perform their new hit song, “Closer”, live at the MTV Video Music Awards show.

The 22 year old performer, whose birth name is Ashley Frangipane, adopted Halsey as her “alter ego” stage name. Halsey, a native of New Jersey, first became interested in performing as a means to make money for herself. However, her popular uploads on Youtube and SoundCloud, quickly launched her into the spotlight. Halsey first made it big in 2014 with her SoundCloud song, “Ghost.” Because of this song, Halsey caught the attention of many record labels and producers. Later that year, Halsey signed with Astralwerks Record Label.

Halsey then began making appearances as an opening act for various bands, including The Weeknd and Imagine Dragons. From there she went on to co-headline a tour with the pop band Young Rising Sons.

Halsey wants to express herself through her music she puts out into the world for her fans to enjoy. In an interview with PopJustice, Halsey said, “That was such an important thing for me as a songwriter, to be able to branch into this new world and embrace this pop sensibility that’s been hiding in my music all along.”  

So far, Halsey has released the EP, Room 93, as well as her first full-length album, Badlands. In an interview with Fuse TV Halsey said her album was “called Badlands because it’s supposed to feel like a dystopia, like an isolated wasteland.” “New Americana” and “Hold Me Down” are among the most well-known songs from her hit album Badlands which was released in 2015.

Halsey is making her way up the industry with every step she takes, so keep a close watch out for many more accomplishments to come in the near future.

Photo taken by Bianca Pineda

Processed with VSCOcam with p5 preset
Bianca Pineda
Processed with VSCOcam with p5 preset