BHS Students and Staff Vote for Billboard Music Awards

The annual Billboard Music Awards is occurring May 17, 2015 at 8 pm. The Billboard Music Award is an honor given by Billboard, a publication and music popularity chart covering all of the music business. This show has been held annually since 1989 in December until it went dormant in 2007. This award show is always highly anticipated every year, and people are already voting online for who they think should win.

This year, as revealed by the nationwide votes, Taylor Swift is leading all finalists with 14 nominations, with Sam Smith, Iggy Azalea, and Meghan Trainor not far behind. When students and faculty at BHS filled out a poll for the nominations, the results were similar as the nationwide voting. Out of the people we asked at Bernards, Taylor Swift was highly voted for Artist of the Year, Top Social Artist, Top Female Artist, Top Hot 100 Artist, her album 1989 for Top Billboard 200 Album, and her song Shake it Off for Top Hot 100 Song. Along with Sam Smith voted for Top New Artist, and Top Male Artist. Uptown Funk was voted for Top Digital Song, One Direction for Top Touring Artist, Take Me to Church as Top Rock Song, Maroon 5 as Top Group, and Nicki Minaj as Top Rap Artist. These were just some of the many nomination categories.

In the past, Janet Jackson has won the most awards with 33 wins. The Billboard Music Awards Show is always an exciting and renown event, always full of celebrity performers. It is not only an award show, but also a fun concert. This year some of the artists performing include Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, Britney Spears, Wiz Khalifa, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, and Van Halen, among many others. Mariah Carey will also be performing, marking the first time she will have performed on the Billboard stage since 1998. Also, Kelly Clarkson will debut her new single Invincible and the world premiere of Taylor Swift’s Bad Blood video is set to open the BBMAS. This years much-anticipated BBMAS sound like an event not to miss! Tune in on May 17, 2015 at 8/7 pm central by ABC, co-hosted by Chrissy Teigen and Ludacris.

For full results of the survey, click here.