BHS introduces new Valentine’s Cabaret

Performing Arts Club president Abby Sebastian performing at the Valentines Cabaret
Performing Arts Club president Abby Sebastian performing at the Valentine’s Cabaret
Claire Taylor

There is no better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than spending time connecting with others. On Thursday, February 1, the Performing Arts Club hosted the second cabaret night in BHS history. The powerful crew took a captivating and fitting take on a simple cabaret – Valentine’s. The showcase consisted of BHS’s very own students taking the stage to sing either love or heartbreak songs. With the success of the previous and first-ever Villain’s Cabaret that was held in the fall, Abby Sebastian ‘25, president of the Performing Arts Club, Kaley Welsh, vice president, and other members, felt compelled to carry on the newly found tradition.

“We hope to make the Valentine’s Cabaret and the Villain’s Cabaret annual events,” Sebastian stated.  

The members of the Performing Arts Club worked diligently to put on the hit production. From setting up concession and ticket tables to creating themed decorations for outside the PAC entrance, the club was able to pull it off remarkably well, despite the spontaneity. Welsh ‘25 said, “I designed playbills with our stylist for the night, and we all worked towards making it a great show!” 

Events like these significantly bring people together. In a bustling high school, it can feel difficult to connect with peers, but events like this one are just what is needed to bring students together in busy times. This particular event intended to create a more accepting atmosphere for performing. The Valentine’s Cabaret was successful in doing just that. “We wanted to get people excited about participating and seeing the arts, and encourage them to join or come to more events,” Sebastian stated. Not only do these experiences create a welcoming and safe environment for any students who wish to participate, but they also get people involved in their school even if they do not perform. All students are invited to come watch and support their peers on stage, and maybe even begin their theater arts journey themselves. 

In the big picture, the cabaret was an entertaining success for everyone. Performers got a chance to sing their hearts out about love and heartbreak, while attendees were able to experience the extraordinary gift of those on stage. One spectator, Claire Taylor ‘25 stated that she enjoyed “watching everyone’s talent” most. “Every performer’s talent was just amazing,” Taylor said.

After the last two cabarets turned out just as well as they could have hoped, the Performing Arts Club has come to the exciting realization that they would like to do more in the future. Thanks to the students of BHS, a new tradition has begun and students have been brought together.