The ongoing Israel and Palestine crisis– and what BHS is doing about it

Alexandra Vascellaro
Sam Deutsch’s advertisement posters for the Israeli Vistims T-Shirt and Hoodie Sale

Recently, during October and November, Israel and its people have faced a dreadful period of time. Hamas—Palestinian military and terrorists— has encircled Gaza City, cutting off the people from southern Gaza and trapping over 400,000 people there. October 7, said to be “the start of the war,” was an attack in which they killed 1,400 people and risked the lives of 2.3 million people.
Palestinians have been cut off from the rest of the world, giving them no communication. They are running out of fuel, food, and major supplies. There are also major health issues with overcrowding of the few available health centers due to low supplies, no fuel, and a lack of medical personnel.
On Thursday, November 9, Palestine human rights organizations filed a lawsuit to request an arrest warrant for the leaders in Israel for genocide. It has become a debate on whether the situation at hand is genocide or not., where it was said this level of violence has not been seen since the 1948 Nabka when 70% of the population was displaced and 500 communities were gone completely.
What are people doing to help?
People all over the U.S. are doing what they can to help Israel. Locally in Mendham, the Jewish community has invited people to join a vigil as a response to the attack on October 7. Religious groups around the country have been holding prayer and vigil services to honor the lives lost in Israel while raising awareness for the cause at hand, as well.
Students in Bernards High School have been doing things to help, as well. Junior Sam Deutsch, has been making t-shirts with the help of Logan Derosa ‘25 and Hudson Gershon ‘25, and selling them to help Israel Victims.
“I’ve raised almost $1,000 from selling the shirts,” Sam says. “My goal was to show support for the victims of the terror attacks and [collect] money to send over for relief fund. As a Jew, I felt a calling to help out in any way I could. I’ve been very happy with the response we’ve had from students and staff who’ve shown great support.” Sam is still selling the t-shirts, and students, family, staff, and community members are encouraged to help his cause. The QR Code to help is attached, and donations and supporting of this BHS student is encouraged.
How can you help?
Over one million children need medical attention and up to 250,000 people are seeking shelter on the Gaza Strip. Many organizations have sought to help the people in Gaza since they require dire help. These organizations include but are not limited to The Jewish Agency Fund for Victims of Terror, which helps give financial aid to victims of terror attacks; The Jewish National Fund helps evacuate people from communities on the Gaza border; UNICEF sends people to give fuel and aid to the people in need.
The best way to support this organization is to educate others on the problem, as this isn’t a situation that should go over people’s heads.