BHS and BMS Choirs perform together for the winter concert

Amanda Carey
BHS and BMS’ choirs perform “Joy to the World” to close out winter concert

On December 5th, at 7 PM, the Bernardsville High School choir returned to the stage of the Performing Arts Center for their annual winter concert. They performed an arrangement that has never been done in the history of the choral program. Coordinating with the production title, “Voices United,” this year’s holiday show unified with the Bernardsville Middle School Choir for the first time, including BMS Choir students in the performance.
Conducted by BHS’ director of choral music, Mr. LaPine, and BMS’ choral director, Mr. Sands, and accompanied with piano by Mrs. Day, the show consisted of eighteen songs performed by the high school and middle school’s choirs.
Before the debut of the unified showcase, attendees were greeted by members of the madrigals singing holiday carols as they shuffled inside. Once everyone was seated, the concert began with an opener unlike any other performed in previous years. To open the show, students from BHS’ choir assumed their usual positions on the stage, meanwhile, the BMS choir filled out the isles of the auditorium, surrounding those sitting in the audience. In these spots, all members of both choirs sang a rendition of “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel ” with Mr. LaPine conducting the highschoolers on stage and Mr. Sands leading the middle schoolers from the top of the auditorium.
Following the opener, the concert continued with single sets from each choir, all of which supplied the audience with stupendous performances.
The high school’s concert choir and chorus each performed four songs. One highlight from the concert choir’s set was an upbeat song titled “Ocho Kandelikas,” in which there was a solo featuring Franklin Cutler ‘26 and Ariel Dori ‘27 and a guitar accompaniment by BHS’s Mr. Lehnhoff. Similarly, members of the chorus provided a memorable performance given their excellent sound despite only having ten singers in total. Concert Choir member Charlotte Perez ‘26 reflects on the performance, saying “It was cool to see something we’ve practiced for so long finally come together.”
BHS’ madrigals performed an advanced and flawless four-song set, impressing many. Notably, one song entitled “Swept Away,” featured a solo from Abigail Sebastian ‘25.
The middle schoolers performed four songs total; two songs were performed from the fifth and sixth graders and two from the seventh and eighth graders. The students sang well and promoted holiday cheer with their festive songs.
To conclude the concert, all of the high school and middle school choir members came onto the stage to perform BHS’ traditional closing song of the winter show, “Joy to the World.” Even though the stage was cramped, the large performance of the song was delightfully done and was a tasteful way of ending the unified concert.
Despite the challenges that came with catering to a larger choir and concert, it can be hoped that the presence of the middle schoolers in the high school’s productions remains vital and perhaps becomes a new tradition.
In a hopeful statement about the BMS choir, Mr. LaPine concludes, “Having them sing right alongside us goes a long way toward helping them look forward to singing at BHS in the future!”