Total solar eclipse passes through New Jersey

Maggie Gaspar (Vanshika Gupta)

On April 8th, 2024, a breathtaking celestial phenomenon occurred: a total solar eclipse. This rare phenomenon, where the moon completely blocks the sun, casts a shadow over a narrow path known as the path of totality, stretching from the west coast of Mexico to the east coast of Canada.

While only those in the path of totality could experience the event, this solar eclipse sparked worldwide attention and amazement.

In the United States, where the eclipse path of totality was most prominent, the excitement for the event was growing weeks before it transpired. Eclipse glasses played a significant role in preparing for the eclipse. These specialized glasses blocked out harmful ultraviolet and infrared rays from the sun, allowing wearers to look directly at the sun without damaging their eyes.

Public organizations, such as observatories, libraries, and museums, played a vital role in ensuring that people could view the eclipse safely. These institutions hosted special events, including watching parties, educational programs, and informational sessions, to inform the public about the upcoming eclipse. These organizations also provided helpful guidelines on how to view the eclipse safely, stressing the necessity of wearing approved glasses to protect one’s eyes.

Here in Bernardsville, the partial eclipse began at 2:10 pm and ended at 4:35 pm. The total solar eclipse began at 3:22 pm and lasted 4 minutes and 11 seconds. During the total eclipse, the sky went from bright blue to pure black as the moon obscured the sun from the view. During the school day, many students were buzzing with energy, exchanging eclipse glasses and talking about the spectacular phenomenon.

At Bernards High School, Riley Omlor ‘26 who viewed the total solar eclipse described the celestial event as “interesting but underwhelming as it did not get as dark as I thought it was going to.” Allison Arcentalez Shaigua ‘26 said, “The eclipse was a moment of clarity for me because I could consciously remember this momentous event since the last time one occurred was when I was younger. I realized how special it was to be able to experience an eclipse of this sort.”

While the next solar eclipse may be years away, the memories of this awestruck event will surely last a lifetime.