Timothée Chalamet stars in new movie “Wonka”

Ava Jean
2023 film “Wonka” advertised outside movie theater

An old classic movie is making a comeback. Enter into a world of imagination with the new Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory movie that will be coming on December 15th and renamed as Wonka.

Even though most people are familiar with the movie Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, it was not where Wonka originated from. The book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was written in 1964 by Roald Dahl, which led to many adaptations. The first was the classic movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory made in 1971. The original Willy Wonka was like watching a dream, as it was both whimsical and wondrous. Willy Wonka was a wacky and mysterious character played by Gene Wilder, who did a fantastic job fulfilling the role. The second film was released in 2005 and reclaimed the book’s name, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Now comes a third film, Wonka. In the new movie, there will be a different face as our chocolate factory owner, Timothée Chalamet, as people learn about the backstory of the magical man. 

The trailer for the upcoming film is magical, luring people to watch the movie, and sending them into a wonderful land of sweet chocolate adventures. The new movie will be slightly different and provide more of Wonka’s backstory which people have been wondering about for a long time. Questions that would be essential to his backstory: How did he grow to be the person he is? How did he grow a passion for chocolate making? What was his childhood like? Why did he always crave candy without ever having it? These and many more questions will be answered. 

Despite its modern feel, Wonka will still have the same childish, mystical, out-of-this-world atmosphere. The film is directed by Paul King, who has also directed other children’s movies like the Paddington franchise. Wonka is distributed by the one and only Warner Bros. Pictures. Purchase a (golden) ticket if you want to see it!

View Comments (3)