BHS homecoming pep rally brings students together

Jackie Silberman
BHS students and teachers play musical chairs at pep rally

The Bernards annual pep rally occurs the day of the highly anticipated homecoming football game. During the rally, all of the students meet in the lower gym and are separated by grade. Together, they compete in healthy competition, recognize the different sports and musical groups, and overall raise school spirit.

The pep rally always begins with the national anthem, performed by the concert choir. After, Bernards High traditionally has a senior dressed up as Moses to “part the red sea.” This year, it was RJ Bubnowski ‘24, who ran up to the senior section of the bleachers and motioned for a gap to be created down the middle. He then ran all the way up, thus commencing the pep rally. The band and colorguard performed shortly after.

Throughout the pep rally, different sports teams are called up to answer various questions with the captains and/or seniors representing the team. Some funny and notable moments include when the girls soccer team was asked if they had any fears that their coach would say no to her fiance’s proposal (which occurred on the BHS turf in front of the whole team), or when the field hockey team was asked which player is most likely to fall during a game.

The parts of the pep rally that students typically look forward to are the games which encourage competition between the students in every grade level and the teachers. Some popular ones include the classic musical chairs, tug-of-war, and relay race. Every individual came together, rooting for their own grade and favorite teachers. After several riveting and funny moments, like watching Dr. Neigel attempting to shoot a basketball or several people falling during musical chairs, the ultimate winners were the sophomores.

The homecoming court is also announced during the pep rally, which is nominated by the students of BHS. The homecoming king and queen are then announced during the homecoming game itself later that night.

The pep rally provides a space where the students can come together, regardless of grade. Moments like this are so important for the dynamic of the school and school spirit, since students are typically divided during the day by specific classes. The pep rally also allows the students to simply have fun and be silly, which reminds us all that while the population of BHS is very hardworking and driven, we are also young adults learning to grow and bond. School related events such as the pep rally and spirit week include memories that students are bound to remember and reminisce about even after graduation.