BHS welcomes new teachers for ’23-’24 school year

Starting off the 2023-2024 school year, we are welcoming several new teachers to the school. We have Mr. Cannon, Mr Cameron, Mr. Levine, and Rodriguez.

Mr. Steven Cannon currently teaches Spanish at BHS and started out his career as a translator for a newspaper. Mr. Cannon explained, “The hours were very unsure and when you’re a reporter, you can be at the office until 9:00 p.m. waiting for someone to call and I had small kids, and when my kids arrived I wanted a schedule I could depend on.” In order to have a more structured work day, Mr. Cannon became a teacher. His teaching career began in Mexico where he taught English as a Second Language (ESL). After teaching himself Spanish, he was inspired to share his knowledge with high school students so his next stop was back in the United States at Verona Public High School prior to coming to BHS to be one of our Spanish teachers.

Mr. Bradley Cameron is our latest History teacher. He came to us from the Pope John High School in Sparta. Previously, Mr. Cameron educated students in a variety of subjects including, introductory Psychology, Introductory Sociology, AP Psychology, US History I, and US History II. Mr Cameron shared the reason why he started teaching, saying, “I’m really bad at math and science and history always resonated with me.” Helping children throughout their high school experience was the catalyst for Mr. Cameron’s teaching career of twenty-one years.

Mr. Scott Levine explained, “I wanted to be a teacher because I wanted to help students enjoy Math. I know it isn’t most people’s favorite subject… I think that when students connect with the content and can see that the teacher is passionate about the real world applications of the subject, it helps them want to learn!” This desire led him to join Morris Hills Regional School district, where he began as a substitute teacher. He then became a long-term Math Interventionist and was given the opportunity to teach Geometry, Research Based Analysis and Pre-Calc. Now he is using his passion for math to help the students at BHS find a love for math too. He’s excited to now begin his BHS teaching career, teaching Algebra II, Algebra II A, and Math Concepts.

Ms. Brienne Rodriguez spoke about how her motive for becoming a teacher revolved around her mom. Ms. Rodriguez said, “My mom was a high school English teacher and then became a school counselor. I saw the impact she had on students’ lives…saw that teaching had a positive impact on the world, and I wanted to be part of such a powerful profession!” Therefore, Ms. Rodriguez began teaching second and third graders for sixteen years before switching and teaching Multilingual Learners. She decided to teach multilingual learners because of the strong pull she felt while supporting those students in her elementary classes. Now, Ms. Rodriguez is here with us teaching English Language Learners (ELL) students.

View Comments (4)