Clubs and Activities improve student experience

Layout+for+clubs+in+depth+for+December+issue+
Jane Holmes
Layout for clubs in depth for December issue

In building an impressive college resume as well as finding groups that peak one’s interests, students are in constant search of new clubs to join. As a community that fosters student’s interests and talents, BHS offers over 20 clubs for curious and involved students.

Joining clubs is a pivotal part of the high school experience. It allows one to learn more about themselves, their interests and skills, as well as the community that fits them best. Another positive addition to being an involved community and school member is the resume it helps build for college. With involvement in various clubs, and even leadership positions in said clubs, colleges can learn about one’s passions, leadership attributes, and involvement. 

Certain clubs require admittance and applications. Clubs such as Harvard Model Congress, Peer Leadership, and National Honors Society all require an application. With this nature, they become increasingly competitive, as more students apply and show interest in joining.

Harvard Model Congress takes place in Boston, MA between February 23rd-26th this year where the club goes and participates in a mock trial against other schools throughout the country. There are over 20 different states from the US represented, and prior to the conference each member chooses a role and a committee they will act as during the conference. 

Maggie Dolan ‘23 shared, “I liked how it made me more comfortable with public speaking and I got to meet new people from different states. Attending the conference helped me understand more about how the government works.” 

Peer Leadership also requires an application. Applications for board positions are released in January, with a deadline of late January. Decisions are released in February and from then, the new board is established. Applications for peer leader positions open in March each year, and are due by the middle of May. The board then reviews all applications and releases decisions by early June. 

Sydney Kaul ‘23, a board member of peer leaders, states, “I love being able to help build my community from an internal position with the collaboration of other like-minded and great people”. 

Additionally, the National Honor Society is a club that both juniors and seniors can join. The application includes writing a one page essay, answering a few questions, and showing your active involvement. To become a member you are required to have 5 activity points for each year of high school, 10 hours of community service each year, and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.75.

Key Club is a service-based organization, which helps support the school and community around Bernardsville. Each month the club has numerous volunteer opportunities and options to help people. Not only does the club help others, but it also gives people the opportunity to create new relationships throughout the school. 

Lila Beckerman ‘25 shared, “I think that because so many people are a part of the Key Club, it is a great opportunity to build friendships and meet people with similar interests.” 

The Red Cross Club is another service-based club that was recently brought back to BHS. The club gives students the opportunity to help both the school community and Red Cross organizations across the world. The club participates in fundraisers, drives, and activities to help the community. They recently hosted a bake sale to raise money for the club, and in light of the holiday season, made holiday cards for veterans. The vice president Tara Kevorkian ‘23 shared, “Red Cross is probably the most important thing I’ve participated in high school because it really allows me to be a great part of my community and help people that I otherwise wouldn’t be able to reach.”

The Bernardian is a school-funded club that works all year to create the yearbook. This club allows students to explore their creativity and dive deep into various school elements beyond one’s typical limits. The yearbook staff is able to play part in creating a memory that captures core elements. 

Grace Korey ‘23 explained, “Yearbook has helped me be more social with people outside my friend group. I love getting to reach out to so many different people that participate in all sorts of activities in the school and hearing their opinions on things.”

Girl Up is a leadership organization that supports the empowerment of women around the world. There are clubs in 150 countries and all 50 states, with numerous clubs in each individual state. The organization was founded by the United Nations to help girls across the world. 

Club president Audrey Panik ‘23 shared, Girl Up has really shone through my college applications, giving me a chance to discuss advocacy work that I am passionate about, as well as how I’ve developed this interest throughout my school.” Our club at Bernards has participated in hosting a 5K, Voting Registration Drive, and numerous cookie walks to raise money. 

Matthew Chen ‘23 shares his take on joining clubs, “Focus on quality over quantity: making impactful contributions to a single club/activities outweighs being involved in many activities. Focusing a lot of energy on one or few communities will benefit you more than dispersing yourself across 10+ clubs.” BHS offers many different clubs for students to find their interests and become active members of the BHS community.