Spirit Club promoting school spirit at Bernards

Spirit+Club+representatives+at+the+Spirit+Tent+
Photo by Bunny Cambell
Spirit Club representatives at the Spirit Tent

Bernards has always prided itself on school spirit and the students have consistently attended football games to make Friday Night Lights a reality in this close-knit community. This year, a group of students and a staff member, Ms. Maestas, introduced a new club to the school community called the Spirit Club. The main goal of this group is to promote school spirit at other school-sponsored events, and when learning about the main goals and ideas the club has, there is no doubt that the Spirit Club will be beyond successful in their endeavor.

Overall most students say that they believe Bernards High School has great spirit during the football season and at the beginning of the school year. But then by the winter months, that spirit dwindles and there is not a huge student body presence during winter sport competition. Also, in the spring, attendance at lacrosse games is sparse. Students should be passionate and excited for every school event such as sport games and plays. The Spirit Club is attempting to address the lack of spirit towards the end of the year to bring the school together through spirit.

The first event the Spirit Club held was a Spirit Tent at the October 17 football game against Bound Brook.  At the tent were members of the club full of energy. For students to participate in the tent’s festivities, they had to pay $5.00. With this fee, the students had admission to the game, a free pink pom-pom, and unlimited food and drink. There were about 60 students at the tent throughout the evening and the club raised about $300 from the one evening. Those who attended said that they look forward to the other events of the club. This successful first event creates an optimistic future for the Spirit Club.

Looking forward into the year, the club plans on holding events to promote attendance at the school plays, other clubs’ fundraisers and sporting events to make an atmosphere like what students experience during Friday Night Lights. The club has been in contact with the administration in planning another Pep Rally as many believe that the Pep Rally get students excited for not only their teams, but also the school in general. The Spirit Club is also excited and willing to hear ideas from the student body about other ways to promote school spirit through the school.

This spirit club is a great idea to promote Bernards pride among the student body, community, and town. It is a way to motivate and create incentives to support Bernards teams and events. The students, teachers, and community members of Bernardsville have spirit but this club is a great way to emphasize and promote it. Overall, the club’s goals and ideas will bring school spirit through the hallways of Bernard’s and students will have much more pride in their school.