Downtown Redevelopment

Photo Credit to Advance Realty Investors

The Bernardsville Borough Council, in the last few months, has taken a few steps forward in transforming a key downtown section of Bernardsville: Quimby Lane. For many Bernardsville residents and students, however, this large revitalization project has flown under the radar; this is partly because, since the plan was introduced in 2019 and delayed by Covid, not much redevelopment has occurred in the area.

Over the summer and up until now, however, the ‘Creation of Quimby Village’ has come a long way. In August, the Borough Council decided that Advance Realty Investors of Bedminster will handle the redevelopment project & its planning. This decision came after a lengthy discussion comparing Advance Realty Investors and Melillo Equities of Far Hills.

In the town’s original proposal, it described the Quimby Lane Project as allowing the area to serve as a key part of “Bernardsville’s identity and reinforce the unique downtown district as the crown jewel of the community.”

The Plan, proposed by Advance Realty (which can be seen here), includes a number of interesting facets and updates to the area. For example, a plan for an underground parking structure and a number of new buildings along Olcott Square, along Mine Brooke Road, as well as along Mill Street. A few mockup drawings & layouts for these plans can be found in Advance Realty’s presentation on the project here. It is interesting to note that the landscape and view from Olcott Square will be drastically different if/when the Plan reaches its endpoint.

The Redevelopment Plan calls for a number of three- and four-story buildings as well as a park and a multitude of green, tree lined spaces. These green areas include a park along Mine Brooke on the West side of Quimby and walking paths to and fro the area, which will act as a pedestrian and shopping plaza.

Needless to say, as the Quimby Lane Revitilization plan continues to make headway, more heads will turn and understand the effect that the project and the area will have on Bernardsville as a community. This Plan will allow for another park as well as a less condensed, more free and open area in which the community can spend time eating, shopping, exercising, etc.