Senior Spotlight: Thomas Ferugson

Senior Spotlight: Thomas Ferugson

Q: What was your favorite part about the play?
A: My favorite part about the play was the process of delving into the character’s shoes, growing to understand him, and then embodying him on stage as a maniacal dentist.

Q: What do you think was unique about this experience concerning the play?
A: I believe that this experience, specifically, was unique to my three other years of acting at BHS because of the somewhat heavier material I had to deal with in moulding the character Orin Scrivello. I had to say, think, and act in a way that was completely opposite to my everyday personality. That was the most unique and difficult experience in practicing for this production.

Q: Why did you take up acting?
A: In all honesty, I took up acting in the 3rd grade because I didn’t know what else I wanted to do after school for a month or two, while in an enrichment program I was involved in a very short (albeit completely unknown) production called Pecos Bill. During casting they did not want to make any of the other kids feel prioritized over the other, so they casted the show through a raffle. I thought to my childish self, “Why not, I’ll just throw my name in there and see what happens. I probably won’t even end up getting on stage crew”. What happened? I ended up getting the lead role, Pecos Bill, and the rest until this point is history.

Q: What do you enjoy most about acting for Bernards?
A: I enjoyed most befriending the casts, directors, and patrons of the community for the last 4 years. I have met great, supportive actors. I have met inspiring, dedicated teachers. And I have met supportive patrons. I’d like to give some special thanks to Mr. Harvey, Mr. T, Mr. Poandl, Mr. Ellis, Ms. Pietroluongo, and Mr.Lapine. All of these people have guided me in more ways that they will ever know, and I am eternally appreciative of their efforts to help get me where I am today.

Q: Do you think you will continue to act after high school?
A: . I will most definitely continue acting after high school. Although I will miss the theatre community, I plan on moving on to independent voice-over work and forging my own creative environment. 6. I have been acting since the 3rd grade, and my most iconic roles in my career have been Friedrich (Sound of Music Jr.), Michael (Peter Pan Jr.), Puss in Boots (Puss in Boots Jr.), Shrek (Shrek Jr.), Mal Beineke (The Addams Family), and Underling (The Drowsy Chaperone).

Q: Do you have any pre-performance routines?
A: I think the most difficult part of acting is being able to answer people’s questions on your character. For example, someone asked me “Where do you think Orin got his tendencies from?”. Since that part of Orin’s character is left to ambiguity in the script, I as the actor have to fill in the gaps of my character to get a true understanding of who they are. Especially how they would portray themselves in reality.

Q: What do you think is the most difficult part of acting?

Q: What do you think is least-known about acting and the process to make the performance what it is?
A: The amount of effort it takes to be a good actor. To be an actor, you just have to recognize your queues, lines, and choreography and you should do fine. To be a great actor, you have to show up, put the hours in, memorize and understand the lines, nail your queues down to the T, and perform all of your choreography with purpose. You have to embody your character on all levels; being emotional, mental, physical.