Recap of Super Wild Card Weekend

With the expansion of a seventh seed to the NFL Playoff Picture, NFL Fans received an additional two games this Wild Card Weekend, resulting in six games of absolute mayhem. Here’s a recap including all of Saturday and Sunday’s action:

Party like it’s 1995: Bills 27 – 24 Colts

As the title suggests, the Bills earned their first playoff win since 1995, dating back to the Jim Kelly days and their rather forgettable 0-4 record in the Super Bowl from 1991-1994. As seen this season, Josh Allen has taken the Bills to new heights, earning a 13-3 record on the year and clinching the AFC East in what felt like the first time in forever. After a sluggish start for both teams, an offensive shootout arose. Allen connected with rookie Tight End Dawson Knox for a quick score, along with running one in himself. Josh Allen found Stefon Diggs for a 35-yard touchdown increasing their lead to 24-10. Although Colt’s Head Coach Frank Reich did a poor job managing the clock, the Bills managed to score twice on two possessions. Electing to go for two following a touchdown pass from Philip Rivers to Zach Pascal, the Colts failed attempt would only haunt them later on. Why go for two when on your next possession when you could drill two extra points and tie the game? Following that poor play-call, Indianapolis would capitalize on a drive resulting in a long touchdown from Rivers to Jack Doyle. As all timeouts were wasted (as Indy constantly let the play clock run), the Colts offense tried to make the post out of their potential game-winning drive. On a 4th and 10 with their season on the line, Rivers found Pascal again, but this time on a controversial call. As Pascal made a sliding grab, he soon attempted to get up and gain more yardage – resulting in what looked like a fumble. As the refs called it a “non fumble” this set up a few more plays for Indianapolis. With just a few seconds left, Rivers heaved up a Hail Mary that was batted down by Bills Pro Bowl Safety Micah Hyde.

How the West was Won: Rams 30 – 20 Seahawks

With Jared Goff’s status looming all week, Head Coach Sean McVay elected to go with healthy backup Quarterback John Wolford, who played subpar in their win over the Cardinals just a week ago. In what seemed to be an absolute slugfest, Seahawks All-Pro Safety Jamal Adams delivered a hit to Wolford’s head, knocking him out of the game that would eventually send him to the hospital. With Wolford being out, Jared Goff (who had nine fingers due to a thumb injury) came back in and generated some offense for Los Angeles. After a 6-3 game midway through the second quarter, standout Rams Cornerback Darious Williams intercepted a Russell Wilson screen and ran it back for a touchdown. Following Wilson’s pix-six, he and DK Metcalf would connect on a 51 yard bomb to make it 13-10. With Seattle slowly creeping back, Rams Rookie Running Back Cam Akers, punched one in to increase the deficit. Seattle generated little-to-no offense the rest of that game, as the Rams would go on to win 30-20.

Bucs Beat Washington: Buccaneers 31 – 23 Washington

Tom Brady led the Buccaneers to a win on Wild Card weekend, throwing for 381 yards and two touchdowns, as Tampa got their first postseason win since 2002. In his 42nd postseason start, and first not wearing a Patriots uniform, Brady outdueled the Football Team’s 4th-String Quarterback Taylor Heicke, who also played an exceptional game. Heinicke totaled 352 yards Saturday Night, adding a passing and rushing touchdown. For the Bucs offense, Brady connected with his weapons on all cylinders, finding Wide Receivers Chris Godwin, and Antonio Brown for scores. Tampa Bay’s offensive line prevailed against the great Washington pass-rushing, as Brady was rarely under-pressure. Age clearly doesn’t have an affect on Brady, as the 43 year old will look to continue this postseason run next weekend in New Orleans for a third battle against the Saints.

Ravens Flock: Ravens 20 – 13 Titans

In what’s grown to be one of the biggest rivalries in the NFL, the Ravens would celebrate on the Titans logo as Pro Bowl Cornerback Marcus Peters made the game-clinching interception to earn Lamar Jackson his first postseason win. The disrespect was there alright, as most of the Ravens team would run straight to the locker room following the game. Lamar Jackson put on a show, including a 48 yard touchdown run to tie the game ahead of the half. Ryan Tannehill would connect with standout Wide Receiver A.J. Brown for a touchdown to score first for Tennessee. The rest fell in Baltimore’s favor. The biggest headline of Sunday’s game may not have been the Ravens success running the football, but how much the Ravens defense contained Derrick Henry. Baltimore would hold the NFL’s leading rusher to just 40 yards on 18 carries – a huge fall-off considering he joined NFL History as just the 8th Running Back all-time to rush for 2,000 yards in a single season. 

The Saints Go Marching: Saints 21 – 9 Bears

In a low-scoring affair, the Saints ran away in the SuperDome with the return of offensive superstars Alvin Kamara (COVID-19) and Michael Thomas (IR).  As Bears receiver Javon Wims dropped what could have been a massive touchdown for the Bears, all momentum swung in New Orleans’ direction. After dealing with 11 broken ribs and a fractured lung, Drew Brees put on a show against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Finishing 28/39, 265 yards, and 2 touchdowns, Brees found Michael Thomas and Latavius Murray for scores. As for Chicago, the Bears came out flat on offense, averaging 2.5 yards a carry on the ground as a whole. With stud Rookie Wide Receiver Darnell Mooney out with injury, Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky had very few options to throw too. Late in the third quarter, Wide Receiver Anthony Miller would be ejected from the game, leaving Trubisky with just two active wide receivers. The strong Saints secondary which features playmakers such as Marshon Lattimore, Janoris Jenkins, and Malcolm Jenkins, it was hard for the Bears to take shots downfield. On the other side of the ball, missing Pro Bowl LineBacker Roquan Smith would give the Saints backfield an easier time to make plays – as Smith’s tackling ability usually helps out Chicago.

Believeland: Browns 48 – 37 Steelers

The Cleveland Browns overcame the unthinkable as they went into Pittsburgh to spoil the Steelers playoff hopes, and ending what started as an 11-0 season. A rivalry that has favored Pittsburgh in what’s felt like forever, the little brother finally fought back. Changing the narrative, and ultimately scaring the Steelers franchise as we know it. Without their Head Coach Kevin Stefanski, the Browns would go on to dismantle the Steelers. On the first play from scrimmage, Steelers Center Maurkice Pouncey would botch the snap, resulting in a Cleveland touchdown. Big Ben would have a forgettable first half performance, throwing 3 interceptions and allowing the Browns to jump out to a 28-0 lead.  Although the Steelers swung momentum in the second half, (which made fans think about the Browns potentially blowing their 28-10 lead), Browns Quarterback Baker Mayfield would connect with Pro Bowl Running Back Nick Chubb to increase the deficit. Roethlisberger would continue to air it out in the second half (finishing 47/68 *NFL record, 501 yards, 4 touchdowns, and 4 interceptions) but the Browns would continue to find new ways to score, sending Pittsburgh home early, and spoiling their shot at a Lombardi Trophy.

Division Round Matchups are as followed:

Los Angeles Rams at Green Bay Packers Sat, 1/16 4:35 PM FOX

Baltimore Ravens at Buffalo Bills Sat, 1/16 8:15 PM NBC

Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs Sun, 1/17 3:05 PM CBS

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints Sun, 1/17 6:40 PM FOX