Community Calls in Peapack-Gladstone help neighbors to connect

Liberty+Park+in+Peapack-Gladstone+is+quieter+than+usual+during+the+COVID-19+outbreak.+
Kaitlyn Huamani
Liberty Park in Peapack-Gladstone is quieter than usual during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Despite the isolating effect that social distancing can have, it is still possible and simple to connect with neighbors, friends, and family in meaningful ways. Residents of tight-knit Peapack-Gladstone certainly know this to be true.

For over a month, families in the community have had a weekly Zoom conference call to share their ideas, experiences, practices, and advice during this quarantine period. The Steinhorn-Herman family of Gladstone initiated this collaborative effort to converse and connect.

The group consists of several families in the town who are eager to discuss how to manage life in quarantine and different ways that they can help other community members in need.

Jeff Steinhorn said, “It is definitely comforting to be able to strategize and share experiences with everyone as we are all figuring out how to adjust to the situation.”

Parents and students alike participate in the calls. The group also sends articles, videos, documents, and any other helpful resources they find.

The weekly calls began after the Steinhorn-Herman family spoke with the Ludtke family, also of Gladstone, who were practicing social distancing before it was commonplace. The Steinhorn-Herman family wanted to create a space for neighbors to compare notes, check thinking, and support and assist each other.

Debbie Herman said, “Sometimes you don’t have all of the answers, and we have such a diverse and vibrant community, so we wanted to connect with everyone.”

Above all, these families aim to support community members in whatever ways they can. Connecting with neighbors, even through online platforms, goes to show that although we may be isolated, we are not alone.