Head Football Coach Jon Simoneau Becomes Winningest Coach in Bernards History

Head Coach Jon Simoneau (center) during a game against AL Johnson
Normandy Studio

The Bernards Football team won their game against Bound Brook by a score of 35-6 in a game that also marked a significant milestone for one member of the team. The game marked head coach Jon Simoneau’s 43rd win during his tenure as head coach, which makes him the winningest coach in school history.

“Breaking the record means a lot more because of the people I’ve worked with throughout my tenure,” Simoneau said. “I’ve worked with Coach Milde and Coach Latzke since 2001, and Coach Carmon has been on the staff since I became head coach in 2008.”

The win was not only significant for Simoneau, it was also important for the team. “We needed that win to keep our playoff chances alive,” Simoneau said. “I almost forgot about the milestone because everyone was so focused on winning that game and I only remembered when Carmon presented me with the game ball and announced it to the locker room. [The record] was something I thought about during the summer but in the heat of the moment I almost forgot about it.”

Simoneau’s players definitely appreciate all of his hard work and are proud to have helped Simoneau reach this milestone. “Getting Sim his milestone win is something that I will remember forever,” senior captain Brendan O’Reilly said. “He deserves it after all the dedication and hard work he’s put into this team over the years. 

“It was really cool to get that 43rd win for Sim,” senior lineman Dalton McCrann said. “Sim has done a great job of turning Bernards’ football team into a winning program.”