Historic Fall sports season comes to a close

12 championships across all sports were won
Ari Rosen
Junior Terrence Hanaratty delivering a huge hit during a game against westwood

With the calendar changing and the leaves starting to fall, the fall sports season has ended. This year Bernards had nine different teams: Girls Tennis, Girls Soccer, Girls Volleyball, Girls Field Hockey, Boys and Girls Cross Country, Boys Soccer, and Boys Football. With pre-season starting in early August for most, the student-athletes worked to achieve great wins and memories. Four teams at Bernards won Sectional Titles this fall season, the most in the School’s history. Here’s how the seasons went:

Boys Football

For 23 years head coach, Coach Sims has been leading football boys to wins, and this year head coach of the Jets, Robert Saleh, shouted out Coach Sims’s 100th career win.  This emphasized how Coach Sims would help lead Bernards to accomplish great things this season. With an undefeated record of 12-0 up until the playoff Group 2 game against Westwood, they won the Sectional Title for the first time in Bernards’ history. They also won the Patriot Gold Division and won the Raritan Valley Division. Friday Night Lights were a highlight for the students with themes like Red Out Teal Out, Pink Out, White Out, and more. Fans supported the team up until the very end of their season. 

Boys and Girls Cross Country

Coach Szotak, who has been coaching the school’s cross country team for 21 years plus, led the Cross Country team to many wins and great titles! Both teams won three different championships. The boys won the North 2 Group 2 section, the Skyland Conference got 2nd in groups, and 6th in the whole state at the Meet of Champions, and were recognized in NJ.com as 6th in all-state group rankings. Sophomore Brody Watt won the Group 2 State Championship race and is the first runner since 2002 and 2003 to do so. For the girls’ team, they placed 2nd in sectionals and 4th in the Skyland Conference, winning the Valley division at conferences.

Boys Soccer

Led by Coach LaSpada, boys soccer had an amazing season. With a record of 12-4-1, They won North 2 Group 2 State Sectionals, Conference Division, and Raritan Valley Division. One of the key players on the team was senior Fin Spitaleri, who had completed his soccer career with 109 points, placing him in the 4th All-Time in Bernards History. 

Tennis

Girls’ Tennis was led by Coach St. Ours and JV coach, Coach Mahlik, the Girls’ varsity had a record of 14-3. The girls won North 2 Group 2 State Sectionals for the first time since 2006. They also won their Conference division. They had great doubles matchups and matches and memories made throughout the whole season. The team led by Senior Captain Julianna Daniel had great energy and were all supportive of each other. 

Girls’ Soccer

With a big event at Red Bull Arena in September playing against Ridge, the girls had a great season with a record of 13-5. Coached for the third year by Coach Boudreau with assistant coach, Coach Crisman, the girls played tough in every game. They won the Conference Division and Raritan Valley Division. They made it to the semifinals in states, but lost. Juniors Andee Costabile, Payton Zaun, and Bailey Olson were All-State Honors. Andee Costabile, Ella Damratoski, and Senior McKenah Schilp received All-Conference Honors. 

Field Hockey 

Led by Coach Sarah Falzarono, field hockey were Conference Division Champs with a record of 10-8. The girls started their preseason all the way back in July and worked hard to make the season a fun and eventful season. Led by senior Kate Hanratty, the girls had a fun season. 

Girls’ Volleyball: In the second year of its program, volleyball finished with a record of 7-13 coached by Coach Rick, and qualified for states for the first time. This is a great accomplishment as the program only started in 2022. The Girls won the Bound Brook Valley competitions and were led by captains senior Taylor Monica, junior Lauren Bury, and sophomore Aletha Reynolds. Many tried out for the team as they had about 70 girls for tryouts. The Honorable mention recipient is senior Julia Karpinski, second-team all-conference recipient junior Olivia Puccinelli, and first-team all-conference recipient junior Lauren Bury and sophomore Aletha Reynolds. 

Gymnastics

Emma Incarnato was the lone star on the team for the second year in a row. She competed across the state representing Bernards High School. She competed in 8 meets this fall season and at the County Championships. At the County Championships, she got sixth place overall. She placed 8th on vault in state sectional championships. She is an inspiration for many in the Bernards community. 

Emma had a fun season and qualified for states in every event.