BHS clubs gather for activities week

With the new school year in full swing, extracurricular activities begin. During the week of October 2nd, representatives from various clubs gathered outside the PAC to promote membership to their clubs.

The Art Club, run by Ms. Crisman, allows students to learn more about art and explore their artistic interests and talents. Art Club is a great environment to grow artistically, learn more about the artistic talents of your peers, and even receive feedback from your peers.

Best Buddies, run by Ms. Hart, gives students the opportunity to work with our school’s Stars program and the students involved. Charlotte Zaun ‘24 and Julianna Danial ‘24, two board members of Best Buddies, encourage their peers to “join Best Buddies to create new friendships and meet new people,” while doing “fun activities with the Stars students.” Best Buddies is a great way to get involved in the school’s community.

Key Club, run by Mr. Kaplan, is a community service organization that encourages students to become leaders by serving those in their community and beyond. Teacher and club adviser Mr. Kaplan shares that “Key Club is amazing because it gives you a real opportunity to change the world around you and make lots of new friends in the process! One of the most beautiful parts about Key Club is that we can make it whatever we want to!” Some of the projects Key Club does each year include Color-A-Smile, FreeRice Competition, and Teacher Dares. Key Club allows students to set up volunteering opportunities and is a great organization to join if you need some extra community service hours.

Representatives from the performing arts program were also present during the activities fair. Our performing arts program puts on our fall play and spring musical each year. All students, whether they’re interested in acting, singing or dancing, playing in the pit orchestra, or being a part of the stage crew, are encouraged to join. Auditions for the fall play have already passed, but it is never too late to join the stage crew for the production. Other activities in our performing arts program include chorus, band, and orchestra.

Our school’s marching band also ran a table at the activities fair. Although their season is already about halfway over, it may never be too late to join. The marching band will be recruiting for the fall of 2024 season.

Three clubs run by Mrs. Snyder were present at the activities fair on October 3rd: Garden Club, the Pinnacle, and Book Club. If you like to garden, or are interested in learning more about gardening, Garden Club is the place for you. If you like to read and want to talk about books with your peers, as well as read things that you may never have read in the first place, Book Club sounds like the perfect place for you. If you’re interested in working in publication, as well as learning about the creative side of your peers, the Pinnacle will provide you with such. Regardless of whether or not you want to help create the actual magazine, there are still ways to get involved in the Pinnacle. All students at BHS are encouraged to submit artwork, poetry, short stories, and more to the Pinnacle.

If you want to be involved in more publications of the school, the Bernardian, run by Mrs. O’Brien, was recruiting members during activities week. Each year, the Bernardian produces our school’s yearbook and the Bernardian staff works hard to create it. Emma Swope ‘24 shares that “People should join the yearbook because you get to be involved in something that people will hold on to for years.”

All these clubs and more were at the activities fair. Incase you were not able to stop by, these clubs are still recruiting members!