“Natural highs and lows” shines light on substance issues ad alternative

Entering the auditorium on March 1, 2023, students from grades 9-12 welcomed Matt Bellace, Ph.D, speaker and comedian. Here, for an hour, Bellace discussed the natural highs and lows of life with a comedic twist on it. Keeping it lighthearted and enjoyable, students gained a deeper understanding into the physical, mental, and emotional effects of drugs compared to natural stimulators.

He began his performance by randomly selecting eight students from the audience to participate in an ice-breaker activity on stage. The eight students were separated evenly into two groups. This activity required trust, dependence, and teamwork. Relying on each other and not overthinking anything, these students laid down on chairs that were slowly removed out from under them. Once removed, the volunteers were laying on nothing besides each other; counting on each other to stay up and stable.

This ice-breaker was received extremely well by the audience, as it filled the auditorium with cheers and applause. Both teams competed against each other to stay up longer, with the additional weight of a person on top. Once the teams fell, the activity concluded, opening up the floor to Bellace.

After experiencing the nature of the auditorium, he shared “I can immediately tell the difference between a supportive group and an unsupportive, careless group. It makes all the difference for me when performing, and it’s obvious which type of group you guys are.”

This segued Bellace to begin discussing anxiety, and more importantly his personal experiences with such. He recognized the fear of standing up in front of all your classmates; a fear of embarrassment, which “is a problem in a community”, according to Bellace.

Building a stable and supportive community lies in being transparent, vulnerable, and trusting. A student who would fear going up on stage in front of their classmates may lend to the understanding that there is a community that lacks acceptance, trust, and genuine people. Anxiety plays a major role in life, especially childhood development throughout teenhood. It’s an everyday battle that prevents people from meeting their goals, staying happy, and staying active. Bellace shared ways to combat anxiety and their burdens it carries with itself.

Bellace reveals the power of meditation. “Meditation is so incredibly effective. This breathing technique is a superpower.” It is proven that meditation once a day calms your nerves as well as emotions and mentalities, leading to better choices and open minds. It is one of the greatest natural highs of life.  Junior Ryan Tondo said, “Being outside makes me feel great. It brings up my mood.”

Conversely, Bellace highlighted the internal effects of drugs as a chemical high. The addictive, cyclical nature of drugs leaves users dependent, weak, and vulnerable. Nicotine, a rather familiar drug amongst the younger demographic, causes this never-ending cycle.

Laughter and music are two of the greatest natural highs a person can experience; two things that are positive and beneficial. “Science has studied people who hate happy music. Turns out, your brain simply cannot resist happy songs, and listening will naturally brighten your mood,” said Bellace. Sophomore Ari Rosen said, “I agree with him. Music makes me feel great. I listen to music before my sports games to hype me up.”